Author Topic: Had my 1st Yew explosion lastnight. ( I know Pictures right)  (Read 2222 times)

Offline Ed Brooks

I had to ask this. I was working a yew limb it was 1 3/4 at one end 1 1/4 at the other about 5' 6" only pulling 30# 28. I usually try to exercise / draw a bow after strung and before I shoot it. Last night I strung this bow, knocked and arrow and drew it back. It sounded like a rifle going off, the bottom limb blew in two places. My question is, is not exercising the bow out at least one of my causes of this explosion? Thanks in advance. Ed.
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Had my 1st Yew explosion lastnight. ( I know Pictures right)
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 11:08:10 am »
I don't exercise my yew bows at all Ed. I brace and yank.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 11:52:07 am »
I exercise every bow, every wood and every time I remove wood. I doubt exercising was the culprit. Generally an explosive break is from a tension(back) failure. Examine the break and it will tell you what went wrong.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 11:58:33 am »
I thought it was a built bow. I do exercise during tillering as Pat mentioned. I don't exercise finished bows prior to shooting. It better handle that, or its one sad excuse for a hunting bow! "Hold on a second critter, I need to exercise my bow a bit before I can full draw and shoot AT you!" :)
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 12:07:11 pm »
I also doubt that was the problem,if I am shooting targets and string the bow the first time for the day I usually exercise a bit,just one or 2 pulls but after that draw and shoot. :)
Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 12:24:31 pm »
This bow / stick was in the shoot in process of being shot in. I do exercise it while tillering but I usually after stringing them, I will exercise, pull the bow back a few time b4 shooting the 1st shot, not between shots. The wood blew about the same as the one my son stepped through about mid limb to string it up. LOL. I guess if your not breaking UM well. :laugh: :'( Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 12:26:30 pm »
Sounds like you need a stick of the King Ed!

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2014, 12:42:02 pm »
Sounds like you need a stick of the King Ed!

LOL, I have some OS ready to go...  :) 8) :D
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2014, 12:45:57 pm »
Mr Funny Guy!

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2014, 12:47:15 pm »
 ;), sorry PD, couldn't help getting in that one a little anyway.
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2014, 12:52:15 pm »
Bryce sent me OS. Hopefully I love it to once I get it dried and built. But......its not yellow!