Author Topic: to perfect?  (Read 4819 times)

Offline ohma2

to perfect?
« on: April 14, 2014, 07:12:07 pm »
Dont misunderstand what im trying to ask, everyone should strive to build the best they can but are we trying to build to perfect a primitive bow.after all this is primitive archer forum isnt it.

Offline bubby

Re: to perfect?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 07:18:54 pm »
I don't know ohma, my bows are far from perfect, some on here are uber primitive and some like building bows with natural materials, it's all good as long as it's wood to me
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline PatM

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 07:20:59 pm »
Ever see an Atlatl  bannerstone?  Striving for perfection fits entirely in the primitive theme. If there is one thing that primitive people have it is time to finesse things.

Offline Bogaman

• steve white
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 07:32:30 pm »
If your talking about the 'timing thread' I understand. I tried to insert a humorous post to keep things from getting to serious. I think there will always be someone who tries to over analyze our craft. It reminds me why I left the wheelie world and returned to traditional archery.
As far as the perfect bow, I'm sure some of our ancestors beat us to that, many moons ago.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 09:33:24 am by Bogaman »

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 08:10:00 pm »
I think for me perfect is....
Will it shoot with consistent accuracy?  (more to do with me the archer than the bow)
Does it hit hard enough to take a deer cleanly?   ( doesn't have to be a screamer for that)
Will it hold up and last for a long time?   (make enough and there is always another waiting to hunt on the bow rack)
Is it not so ugly that I'd won't be embarrassed to claim I made it.  (only matters in the eye of the bowholder)

other than that they are all good :)  Still I try to make the best bow I can!  (most times)
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline PAHunter

• "If your not having fun, what's the point?" - Khan
    • Victory Before Combat (My YouTube Page)
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 10:49:59 pm »
It's like looking for the prefect child or flower.  Eventually you realize that every one is perfect in it's uniqueness.  However if, a search for perfection is a driving force that gives us goals and makes us better at our craft then I'm all for it.  I've said several times tongue in cheek, that once I make the perfect bow I'll stop.  And as for whatever goals make the next guy/gal happy, more power to em.
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

Offline Badger

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 11:10:44 pm »
  I think trying to make a perfect primitive bows is a great challenge. From the few examples of true primitive bows we have I believe out ancestors felt the same way. A fiberglass bow is more of a recipe where a wood bow we have to finesse it into shape without damaging or minimizing damage. Two bows with everything the same style wood etc can have very different shooting characteristics depending on how they were built.

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 11:25:22 pm »
Perfection is what keeps me going for sure!  As I go I get a better understanding of what perfection is.  I want the simplest and most efficient hunting bow.  That means I'm gonna have to work on my shooting some and at least begin to approach perfection.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline Jesse

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2014, 11:39:53 pm »
I admire good craftsmanship.  That doesn't have to be a pretty bow. It should just be well made. There will always be room for improvement.
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2014, 12:56:14 am »
I have used a good bit of heat correction/manipulation on bows over the last few years but that is not for "perfection". It is to create what comes in my mind when I see the stave. The end result is generally far from perfection. Making her pretty is a way to cover up or disguise the imperfections.
 I got into "primitive" archery to get away from the perfection of mechanical archery and later the perfection of manufactured trad archery. My ultimate goal in primitive archery is to be as simple as possible yet still be effective; for target, 3D and hunting. Being able to make most of my own stuff is a big draw too.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2014, 01:23:18 am »
oh yeah, I'm in relentless pursuit of perfection.....unfortunatley I am imperfect and so I do the best I can to chase down the next piece of beautiful imperfection. Its kind of a sickness but one that brings me moments of satisfaction.  Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2014, 07:14:52 am »
 perfection can not come from imperfection, therefore anyone who strives for perfection must first become perfect himself.

I do enjoy a bit of philosophy though, helps me to accept my imperfect bows, that realy just expose my own imperfections 8)
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2014, 07:21:13 am »
I shoot for absolute perfection in every bow I build in every facet of the build from stave to finish. I still use a stick of wood just like everybody else though. Primitive doesn't mean a "steaming pile" of bent wood in my teeny tiny book.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2014, 07:46:13 am »
I look for prefection in each build [maybe not in the finish work] :)but in the functional part of the bow never seem to make it,always something that don't go as planned. I tell folks that is what I love about it,problem solving from start to finish. Been looking for the prefect stave for close to 30 years,ant found it yet but I feel sure I will someday,it has to be one out there somewhere. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2014, 09:20:52 am »
Come on Pappy
Here I thought that they were all perfect , till I get a hold of them its all down hill from there !
I love every thing about them each has its own uniqueness
Any bow that feels good to shoot and that's most of them is "perfect"
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !