Author Topic: Harvesting hop hornbeam?  (Read 6026 times)

Offline Judo Point

Harvesting hop hornbeam?
« on: April 13, 2014, 11:16:53 pm »
My question is for those that use ironwood a lot when is the best time to harvest it and how do you deal with the cambium layer? I've made a couple real nice bows from it and have a bunch that has been drying for a few years. But the cambium is a real bugger to get off. So much so I dread starting another. I was wondering if cutting it now with the sap running if it would come off easier and if I did that should I seal the back with Elmer's or something? Let me know how you guys do it. Thanks!

Offline TRACY

Re: Harvesting hop hornbeam?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 11:25:16 pm »
Cut a 5" ironwood (hop hornbeam) tree this morning that peeled alright. Got a few strips to run all 6 feet and cleaned up the rest quickly with draw knife. Left some of the cambium on but I'm not worried about it cause its so thin. Sealed the ends and back with poly. Good to go!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 12:10:43 am »
just today saw some bows made from ocean spray (same thing i think), and bark was left on the finished bow.
he said it only ever peels when bow weight gets over 50#. it had a really cool primitive look, i gotta try it.

blackhawk

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 07:58:50 am »
Cut...split...seal ends....remove bark....clean it up some roughly or preferably to parallel dimensions all ways

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 08:06:00 am »
Like Chris said,and about now is the time,Wizardgoat never had much luck leaving the bark on anything,ya it looks cool but always dried and cracked after a while. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Bogaman

• steve white
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 11:04:48 am »
Wizardgoat, although ocean spray is often referred to as 'Ironwood' it is not the same as Hop Hornbeam, which is also called 'Ironwood' by many.

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 02:03:19 pm »
I've had the best luck cutting it in the spring. Then the bark will peel right off for the most part, and take the cambium with it. Whatever is left you need to get off right then, because once it dries, its pretty much stuck there. It wouldn't be so bad if the back of HHB wasn't so darn wrinkled, but its near impossible to get any kind of blade into all the little ridges.

Offline PatM

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 03:09:48 pm »
The tip of a small spoon is the best for plowing out all the little furrows in the back. The best thing to do it to do it right away while the bark is mostly green or leave it for years until the cambium dries to the point of becoming powdery.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2014, 03:15:59 pm »
Cut a small branch and see if the bark will peel off. If so, it is time to harvest. When the bark slips the cambium should come off with the bark.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2014, 03:27:30 pm »
Just to be sure here, you are talking about "muscle wood" that has a smooth bark like a beech tree?
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2014, 03:35:51 pm »
That's hornbeam(muscle wood), NC. Hop Hornbeam has slightly scaly bark. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Judo Point

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2014, 08:12:08 pm »
Thanks everyone between all the posts I pretty much got what I was looking for and I think I'm gonna go cut some this week and strip all of it before putting it away. I had found a spoon to be the best tool also but after sitting awhile it was tough work I guess the best thing is to just do them all right away. Thanks again.

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2014, 10:35:03 pm »
Thank you, Pat B

I have found a lot of the Hornbeam around here. I think I found two Hop Hornbeams (only ones I have ever seen) in the Uwharries. They had bark very much like ERC bark.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline wapiti1997

• Joe Lacefield Wildlife and Nature Photography
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2014, 10:37:49 pm »
Ironwood is mostly referred to as American hornbeam or muscle wood or blue beech - (carpinus caroliniana)  it has the smooth furrowed bark and tends to grow mostly in riparian areas - near streams. 

Eastern hophornbeam - (ostrya virginiana) is also sometimes called ironwood, has scaly bark and will be found more in upland woods.  They both have similar leaves and fruit that resemble hops.  Both are dense, heavy white woods of the eastern US and are mid-story trees rarely exceeding 10" in diameter.

Common names are sometimes misleading, I wanted to clarify the names for those reading this that might be confused.

Offline zenart

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2014, 02:04:08 am »
Ironwood is mostly referred to as American hornbeam or muscle wood or blue beech - (carpinus caroliniana)  it has the smooth furrowed bark and tends to grow mostly in riparian areas - near streams. 

Eastern hophornbeam - (ostrya virginiana) is also sometimes called ironwood, has scaly bark and will be found more in upland woods.  They both have similar leaves and fruit that resemble hops.  Both are dense, heavy white woods of the eastern US and are mid-story trees rarely exceeding 10" in diameter.

Common names are sometimes misleading, I wanted to clarify the names for those reading this that might be confused.

Yah, no kidding common names sometimes misleading. I hear Ipe is sometimes called Ironwood and I just bought a few smaller pieces for tips which were labeled 'African Ironwood' and it looks nothing like Ipe. And now I gotta figure out N.American species Ironwood differences?? Guess it's just one of those names use to call an 'Iron-like' wood.. but it's really confusing.
Huntington Beach, CA … there's no trees here but we do have lumber yards.