Author Topic: Big Snake Skin  (Read 1792 times)

Offline Ghost308

Big Snake Skin
« on: April 13, 2014, 07:08:45 pm »
Hi Guys I have a nice big skin for my bow but I don't know what I should do. Should I split the shin down the middle so I have half the pattern on each limb or cut it across and put it on that way head at one end tail at the other ?
Let me know what you guys would do. Sorry I had to post 2 pics the darn thing is to big for just one lol

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Big Snake Skin
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 07:16:17 pm »
 I made a short horse bow a few years back and split a 5" wide WDB just like yours. Now each limb has triangular patterns rather than diamonds. Looks kinda cool on this bow. Skins are all about camo, so however you can cover your bow cleanly, I say go for it.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Ghost308

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 11:56:48 am »
Here is a better picture of the bow and skin. the skin is over 8" wide without any holes or tares.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 12:23:25 pm »
I have done it both ways,if it is long enough,with that big you don't get the diamond pattern anyway so it really don't matter, they look  fine both ways.
Try and split it right down the back bone line if you spit it down the middle. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline waterhawk

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 02:25:15 pm »
Before you work your snake skin, get some reptile conditioner to soften the skin so the edges won't crack.  Do not use lanolin, as it will interfere with your glueing process.  You can get the conditioner from a shoe repair shop.  Just a thought....

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 05:42:46 pm »
Hi Guys I have a nice big skin for my bow but I don't know what I should do. Should I split the shin down the middle so I have half the pattern on each limb or cut it across and put it on that way head at one end tail at the other ?
Let me know what you guys would do. Sorry I had to post 2 pics the darn thing is to big for just one lol

I did that with a big Python ( or was it boa ? ) skin, you get more milage that way and still looks real good
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII