Author Topic: Ash backed Ipe longbow  (Read 2224 times)

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
Ash backed Ipe longbow
« on: April 13, 2014, 04:18:55 pm »
This was in the forum as Ipe Board. I think im ready for brace but I don't want to break this one so could some of veterans out there help me out. Any advice, criticism is very much needed. I was told I had a hinge n the right limb off the fads. I've worked on it and don't see a hinge but im still new at this.  Please help!  Tim

Sorry for the pic. Couldn't get a decent shot.
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%

Offline H Rhodes

Re: Ash backed Ipe longbow
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 04:24:22 pm »
Looks good.  I would go ahead and brace it now, sort of low at first, maybe three or four inches.  The left limb looks a little stiffer to me.  You might take a few scrapes from the fades to mid limb before you go to brace height, but it's up to you.   I don't tarry at long string very much.  It is real deceptive.  You will tell a lot more about how a bow is bending at low brace.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 04:27:40 pm by hrhodes »
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 04:28:20 pm »
it lokks like the limb on the right is a bit weaker,  but it looks close enough to brace on a low brace height,....get it balanced on a low braced height and slowy increase the brace height....as hrhodes says above
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 04:42:29 pm »
It probably wouldn't hurt to string it now at a low brace height. But I can see some room for improvement at this point, so there is no need to pull it any further or to string it. As soon as you see any stiff spots or (almost) hinges, you stop pulling it any further. You'll need training to see those minor problems early on in the process. Try to see that hinge in the right fade that was pointed out to you earlier on. (Not a true hinge, but more a slight weak spot.)
You've done good, because that 'hinge' is not nearly as pronounced any more. However, the right midlimb is still a bit flattish. It could need some more scraping, but you're really close. Ten agressive strokes with a sharp scraper is probably all it needs. At the same time, left limb is slightly stiff between midlimb and the handle fade. Scrape the area from midlimb up to 6" from the handle fade. Don't touch the handle fade itself.

Could you perhaps please post a picture of the front profile of the bow, the width lay-out? The front profile dictates where the bow should bend most, and whether you should be aiming for an elliptical or more round tiller.
Also, I presume the bow is straight when unstrung? Or did you glue in any reflex?
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 06:30:43 pm »
I have it braced and pulling to 19" im going for 45-50#@ 28". Its 66 1/2" ntn and 1 1/8" @ fade and 1/2" @the tips...not sure what the pounds are yet I would say around 35#@17".  I haven't good the handle cut yet.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2014, 08:37:47 pm »
Looking good.  The right limb is a bit flat from about mid limb out, needs to work a bit more.  The left limb looks pretty good
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2014, 08:43:47 pm »
The limbs line up but they go off to one side when looking down the tips. How can I bring them to center?

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 07:29:10 pm »
I've look in the forum, online and in the tbb's but I cant find the answer to my question.   Which side of the limb do I take wood off to bring my limbs to center? Or can I do that. Or should I just cut a shelf on the side the string is? I would appreciate any feedback.  Thanks

Offline PatM

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2014, 08:16:30 pm »
The side away from the bend.
  Your overlay on the back of the handle makes me nervous. it looks like one side in particular is extending out to the working limb. It might lift there and tear into the backing as well.