Author Topic: bad early late ratio  (Read 3203 times)

Offline BOWMAN53

bad early late ratio
« on: April 10, 2014, 01:07:53 pm »
ive never heard anyone say "oh man that ratio is horrible". so, does anyone have a picture of what a bad ratio looks like. not just a diagram, an actual picture.

Offline osage outlaw

Re: bad early late ratio
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 01:17:55 pm »
I can post one when I get home from work tonight.  I have some pieces that have the most beautiful snakey grain pattern but are nothing but early wood.  I've been using them as weight in my truck on snowy days this winter.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 01:33:26 pm »
Ive never found it to mean squat Jordo. I look for checks and cracks, that's about it.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 01:37:18 pm »
I think ideally you want about 2:1 ratio or better but I build bows with whatever osage I have, good ring ratio or bad. The bow might be a bit thicker if too much early wood.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 01:58:51 pm »
im just curious, ive never seen an example of a bad ratio. i remember you saying that clint, it was the curly osage right?

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 03:16:16 pm »
If it was all I had to work with then I would use these but will avoid the top rings on this one because I prefer the middle section.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 03:20:18 pm »
thanks fred, those top rings do look really bad.

Offline JonW

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2014, 03:46:31 pm »
If I can chase it I use it. I have broken a few bows in my time but never had an Osage bow fail on me due to ring ratio, thickness or anything else you hear other people talk about. After all, the world was flat at one time right?

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2014, 04:11:34 pm »
You're right, it was the curly stuff.  It is all early wood.  I don't see how it would work for making a bow.  I'll post a picture of it this evening.  I brought some pieces of it to the Moontree gathering and gave away.  Maybe they can post a picture of some of it.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2014, 05:40:58 pm »
I have some BL staves I could show you of what might be considered bad.  I used them o practice my chasing.  They have failed but it was do to me asking too much or going to narrow.  At least that is what I'm telling myself ::)

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2014, 05:44:23 pm »
Here's those pics.  This is the same stave, from end to end

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2014, 06:15:48 pm »
wow that second pic is really bad

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2014, 06:38:04 pm »
Yes it is.  I am putting some walnut in the handle section right now.  Trying to salvage from frets,  went too narrow for a bendy.  We will see

Offline DLH

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2014, 08:50:47 pm »
This work for ya Clint?

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2014, 09:52:59 pm »
That's some wild looking stuff you got there Daniel.................Sinew back it, and you'll have a great bow.  I will have finished pic's of the sinew backed static recurve I had at Moon Tree.... "Attitude" ....after this weekend.  It had very bad/thin rings. I'm happy with it, but I may not know the difference between good and bad.  :-\    ;)

DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking