Author Topic: Chippin's  (Read 3131 times)

Offline PrimitiveTim

Chippin's
« on: April 08, 2014, 05:25:31 pm »
I been chippin' away here and there.  Now not all of these are necessarily complete but I'm looking for some critique.  I don't want to make arrowheads to be  pretty I just want arrowheads that are easy to mount and lethal to large game.  I'm looking for some critique here.  to give you a reference of size, #10 is 7/8" wide. 

I'm interested in ways I could improve lethality of these arrowheads for when I do start hunting.  Any critiques or advice is welcome! 

All points were made with antler and bone.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline Ed Brooks

Re: Chippin's
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 06:07:10 pm »
Put those on a stick and shoot something. They look good from here. Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 06:45:38 pm »
Those look good Tim. What kind of stone is 4 & 7.

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 06:49:54 pm »
Those look good Tim. What kind of stone is 4 & 7.
7 is flint ridge chert. 4, I have no idea.  It wasn't actually that yellow though.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline TRACY

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 07:07:28 pm »
They all look good. I like 1 & 10 for size and shape for hunting deer.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Zuma

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 11:38:18 am »
It is interesting that by the Late  Woodland period, most arrow points are triangles.
Easy come easy go. Check on your local requirements for size and styles. Some places are very specific. I like a very fine serration that will sever vessels and capillaries.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2014, 12:56:26 pm »
Look pretty good Tim. You'll get your fill of knapping at the Classic, and learn a crap load too. I like 7 and 10 for hunting. 7 w/ a bit more of a point to it. Like Zuma said, check your local laws, Mullet can probably help you there. dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Tower

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2014, 01:40:16 pm »
I'd hunt w/em.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2014, 01:45:54 pm »
Looks good to me, Tim. I'd hunt with any of them. All you need here is 7/8" wide, no matter what it's made from.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2014, 02:03:05 pm »
I'm not a big fan of obsidian, but I really like 7 and 10 for hunting points. Several times I have read that the smaller points are best for penetration, so I try to keep mine as close to the legal width as possible.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2014, 03:41:17 pm »
cool thanks y'all! 

I'm not a big fan of obsidian
why don't you like obsidian?

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2014, 07:44:27 pm »
It's too much a glass and I suspect I have always pictured flint associated to Eastern Native American points. Even dacite seems a better choice. Perhaps if I had grown up out west then it would have been more prevelant and acceptable to me. Just a personnel perspective and in no ways see it as inferior. Of course as the learning process continues I learned of Cherts, Rhyolite and other types of rock..
If you like it, use it...just not for me.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2014, 10:43:00 pm »
nc;

Google Obsidian, You will find that it is the sharpest material on Earth. That is why it is used for Heart and Eye Surgery.

The reason most knappers don't like it is you seem to get cut without knowing it when you are chipping.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2014, 11:54:36 pm »
It's too much a glass
Lol, I learned on glass.  I like how it chips so easy and I can thin it out easily.

Offline Bone pile

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2014, 08:20:45 am »
They look consistent in size/weight and they look sharp ,what more do you need. Obsidian is fun just keep super glue and band-aids around.I made a couple obsidian points Sunday and had to glue my thumb up. :o
Roger
Venice Florida