Author Topic: buckthorn go bang  (Read 5262 times)

Offline Josh B

buckthorn go bang
« on: April 07, 2014, 01:23:58 pm »
I was working on a bow for the classic should I be so lucky as to make it there.  Well...it didn't go well. Never having worked buckthorn before, I'm guessing the gray colored sapwood was due to mildew rot and not the natural color?  It broke at about 15".  So now...if I do get to attend, I'll have to use one of my old bows instead of a new unique stick.  I'm kinda bummed about that.  Josh

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: buckthorn go bang
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 01:27:35 pm »
Aw dang
Bow go bang
If you ain't breakin'
You ain't makin'.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 01:29:38 pm »
Yup, looks like sick wood trucker. It should have a pink/dark brown back until its sanded clean. Ive never had a buckthorn go bang, 5 for 5. It was all healthy, live-cut stuff from Cody.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 01:55:36 pm »
to bad josh, if you have another like that try chasing it down several rings, its a bear but can be done as this blind ol' fart did it
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 02:08:59 pm »
I'd be happy to shoot a round with you at the classic even if you are using an old bow  ;)
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Stringman

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 02:26:41 pm »
Heck yeah! You work on getting there, then we'll worry about the bow.

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 03:06:44 pm »
the surface looks groovy and crispy. Is the stave harvested in spring, while developing early wood? Could this be the reason for the bang?
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline TacticalFate

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 03:14:07 pm »
yup, that was a piece of bad wood..buckthorn sapwood should be creamy white with a yellow tinge, the dead buckthorn I've cut for firewood has sapwood of that grayish color, rot I suppose.

Offline half eye

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2014, 04:30:17 pm »
Hey bud, looks like that break is following a drying check (wind check) maybe just got a tad close to the edge....Dont matter, because if you can,t get the bow out of a stick then it just aint commin out IMHO 8)
If ya know where ya gonna be in say 3-4 days maybe I could have a stick of something waiting on ya, shoot a email or PM ,eh?
rich

blackhawk

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2014, 07:03:59 pm »
I agree with Scott....work on getting there first,then worry about a bow...n even if ya didn't have one to shoot I'm sure most of us here would hand ya one to shoot without thinking twice ;) ..heck..ya got time to whip one out yet...make a simple bendy handle no frills bow(its a timeless classic n hard to beat) :) hope to see ya there

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2014, 08:10:50 pm »
Sorry to see that Josh. I'm betting that was some you got from me, right? Had I known at the time I would have told ya to chase a few rings to get rid of that gray sapwood, took me 5 broken ones and some advice from Cody to catch on. That stuff was salvaged from a pile someone else cut while clearing a woodlot and I suspect it had set out exposed to the elements a couple months of winter. If you have anymore of it try it with a few rings chased and you should be good to go. I spread alot of that around last year at the classic to some good bowyers not knowing it was bad. I Kind of feel like the guy at woodstock who passed around the brown acid.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2014, 09:35:32 pm »
it looks like more of a crack than a bang......Chrome it out throw some chicken lights on and shoot it >:D
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline AH

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2014, 02:32:29 am »
Aw dang
Bow go bang
If you ain't breakin'
You ain't makin'.
I want that on a T-shirt.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2014, 08:12:19 am »
To bad Josh,it does look to be bad wood to me also. The way you whip them out you still got plenty of time for a new bow at the Classic,hope that works out for you. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2014, 10:53:52 am »
That's too bad Josh.  Looked like it was going to be a nice one. 

Greg that was pretty funny.  Made me smile first thing this morning.