Author Topic: Bow question  (Read 1444 times)

Offline arkdoc

Bow question
« on: April 06, 2014, 12:55:39 am »
I have been working on a bend through the handle osage bow.  The stave I have been working on has some twist to it.  I have made it through most of the tillering, and the tiller is looking pretty good to me.  Now, my question is do you have to remove twist from a bow or can you leave it in the bow without any real affect?  My particular bow has a twist on both ends in opposite directions.  I have looked and studied it and the string seems to be midline at the middle of the bow.  The twists are only at the ends. 

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Bow question
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 01:09:43 am »
If the string crosses the handle it shoot just fine as long as the twist doesn't cause the string to come off the nock. Will you post a braced pic?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 01:10:47 am »
I, personally, would not chance a thing. Osage can handle the uneven load dispersal, and that looks great as it is.
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline arkdoc

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 01:17:32 am »
Here is a picture of it at brace, but it isn't the best.  I have done a little more work on the tiller since this.  There was a very slight hinge that was there.  I have removed most of that and have it pulling more evenly.  I will try to get another picture when I am done.  I plan on finishing the nocks and sanding and such to finish the tiller.  It is currently pulling about 60#s.