Author Topic: Need bendy handle tillering advice  (Read 3001 times)

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
Need bendy handle tillering advice
« on: April 05, 2014, 09:32:51 pm »
So, the last couple bendy handle bows I've made, while the tiller seems to look good in the hand, I'm finding, at brace, the bottom limbs are ending up extremely stiff.    I'm wondering, if my hand is masking the tiller of the bottom limb or something. 

Pic #1 - Little black walnut sapling bow - tiller seemed good, but I eventually noticed, at brace, the bottom limb is MUCH stiffer (no braced pic, sorry)

Pic#2 - After feeling like the bow in hand pic wasn't telling the whole story (some of the bend is covered up by the hand) I took some pics on the tillering tree, and the bottom limb seemed waaay stiff.  So after trying to get a good tiller on the tree, the brace looked much more even, and I started feeling a bit better, so I took another bow in hand pic...

Pic#3 - Braced bow looks much more even, and seems good, but now, taking a pic with the bow in hand, it looks to be hinging just below my hand on the bottom limb and too stiff on upper limb for the inner 1/3rd of the limb. (which is a problem I was fighting before when I was doing all my tillering with the bow in hand pictures) 

I'm not sure what to do next.  When I pull on the tillering tree, I use a little bit of tooling leather as wide as my 3 fingers and pull on the string where I would pull if I had an arrow nocked.  Arrow pass is 1" above center, and I center the arrow pass at the center of my block on the tillering tree.  So I'm trying to get a similar pull on the tree as I do in the hand.   I've heard it said a lot that the bow in hand is the true test of the tiller, but what seemed like a good tiller in the hand resulted in a lousy tiller at brace.  I seem to have an easier time with stiff handle bows because I can orient the bow better because of the straight line at the back of the handle.  I feel like bendy handles might be tricking me by covering up limbs that are too stiff by rocking in the hand a little, or maybe the way I'm holding the bow is changing the tiller, or maybe I'm over thinking the whole process.   Help please!

Offline bow101

Re: Need bendy handle tillering advice
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 09:43:11 pm »
Your full draw looks pretty well right on to me.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 09:55:21 pm »
Looks pretty good to me too.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 10:13:00 pm »
Which one pic 1 or 3?

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2014, 11:18:29 pm »
Bubbles I can tell by reading your post you've already heard about tillering in hand but IMO that's the way to finish. I leave extra weight and a few inches on the tree and then adjust in hand. I really don't care what my brace looks like after full draw is good. JMHO it shoots better for me that way. Your hand puts way different pressure on the limbs than the tree... Now, I've never made a bendy but the Alb's that I make react differently with my hand pressure. Picture #1 all day...
                                                                                                   Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2014, 01:22:18 am »
Pic #1
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline 4dog

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2014, 01:28:53 am »
shoot...i would call that puppy done if it were me....but i got the patience of a gnat...i think your overthinking it...but thats me.
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2014, 03:34:13 am »
I have 2 more inches to go - shooting for 40# at 26", so I have room to adjust the tiller back to Pic #1. Thanks guys,  I feel I am over thinking and need to trust the look in the hand.

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2014, 11:45:59 pm »
I think the difference you are seeing is due to the difference in gripping with your whole hand , vs. the 1-1/2" piece on your tiller tree . The bend looks good ,and if so , don't get caught up on brace profile. Try taking a video of you drawing it a few times. That will give you a better idea of what is happening than looking at still pics.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2014, 12:13:18 am »
I think the tiler is good also though I do like a little less bend in the handle but that is me. Let me take another look.
I see that you want 26".
Try for 25" and shoot it in for the other inch. That's what I do.

Jawge
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 12:19:21 am by George Tsoukalas »
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2014, 12:16:24 am »
You said you need another few inches? Seems you are at full draw.  If yes, leave the handle area alone.
I don't know; looks like you are maxed out with that length.
What is the length of the bow and your draw?
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Gordon

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2014, 02:11:45 am »
I like the handle area to bend a little less than the limbs for this style of bow.
Gordon

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2014, 11:29:31 am »
My draw is 26", but probably more like 25" for a thinner bendy handle bow though. Its 53" long ntn.  I figured it was so short I should trying for a more circular tiller to keep the string angle low.