Author Topic: limb twist and loss of memory  (Read 1600 times)

Offline kayakfisher

limb twist and loss of memory
« on: April 04, 2014, 12:09:26 am »
Have a Bow that I am working on and for the life of me cannot remember. twist in limb which side of knock do you cut deeper is it the off side of the twist.
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: limb twist and loss of memory
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 12:17:15 am »
It the limb twisted unbraced or just braced?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 12:31:09 am »
Side nock?  Can it really matter that much?  Seems to me like if it was twisted to the left then you'd want the left nock to be deeper.  Don't go cuttin' until you get more input though. lol
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 11:56:36 am »
Braced
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 12:55:33 pm »
Hey Dennis - I'm thinking that would be used more to correct string alignment than twist, ...but if you were doing it for twist, I'm pretty sure the cut out notch would have to be on the side of the limb that tilted toward the archer at rest allowing the side that tilted out to be pulled a bit more inward.  Basically, you're using the width of the bow as a lever to unwind the twist.

OneBow

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2014, 01:21:29 pm »
Check the thickness from side to side of your limbs and you will fine one side thicker than the other. Remove wood from the thicker side of the belly.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2014, 02:10:24 pm »
Cutting the nock deeper helps track the string better. If the string is off to the left cut the left nocks deeper.

Basically, if the stave is naturally twisted for 30 degrees or less I don't worry about it.

If I caused the twist by uneven wood removal than I fix it.
Remove wood from the  high side or strong side in the strung bow. The high side would be the side furthest from the string.

I should mention that in the last yew bow I built I took pains to make sure my wood removal was even. The stave was a gift. I even used calipers.

However, when I strung it it was twisted anyway. Wood is not uniform. I

I fixed it as I described.

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!