Author Topic: Another rant....likely with no one disagreeing  (Read 4101 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Another rant....likely with no one disagreeing
« on: April 01, 2014, 05:48:54 pm »
Accidently stepped on my cell phone and ruined the touchscreen.  Now I have lost all the phone numbers and the cell provider can't even pull them!  Tried a local cell phone repair shop and they can't get parts, so they aren't much help.  My last resort is to go to another provider's shop, apparently they have a tech there that can help. 

What an absolute pain it is to try to reconstruct a digital telephone list! 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Another rant....likely with no one disagreeing
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 06:04:49 pm »
Verizon has back up assistance.  Then can download all of your contacts to a new phone.  Probably a little late to help now.  Good luck.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 06:09:08 pm »
ain't technology grand  >:D
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline WillS

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 07:02:24 pm »
Yeah.  Smart phones eh?

I went through the same thing (wasn't stupid enough to try texting with my feet like you though...  ;) ) and just to simply get my contacts from old phone to new required about three online accounts for various sites, passwords, code numbers, SIM replacements, email checking, 24 hours to wait before being told my old phone didn't match my new one (duh...) so none of the above would work...  Sheesh.  In the end I just got an old fashioned pen and paper and it took about 5 mins.

Just to add to the rant - I have a HTC One now.  Some new fangled phone.  It's SO WELL DESIGNED that you can't take the back off.  So when the phone jams, you can't take out the battery and reset.  When the speaker goes, you can't replace it so every time you need to make a phone call, it has to be on loud speaker just so you can hear the other person.  That's privacy right there, when you're on a train.  When the camera gets dirt behind the lens... You can't. Get it. Open.

It's a good thing none of those have happened I guess.  Oh wait....

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 07:07:12 pm »
Gotta keep your phone off the floor JW. Probly some spirits involved too if I had to guess.  ??? dp

That was not a gooder jw.....
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 07:26:11 pm »
Comes from trying to handle a great horned owl, walk, and one-thumb text all at once!

You are correct, Mr Gratz..it was a badder.

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2014, 07:34:24 pm »
if your phone has an sd card you can upload your contacts there and when you break your phone you just put the sd in your new phone. or if you have and iphone you can copy all your contacts into "notes" and itll send you a copy to your email. owls alcohol and phones are never a good mix man lol

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2014, 07:42:38 pm »
Oh yeah, I am fairly sure that would work....but the touch screen is shelled.  How do you operate functions without a touchscreen? 
Oh, and there is never any alcohol involved when I am working with the birds, especially the great hroned own.  She can produce 240 ft/lbs of grip with her feet.  I've been on the receiving end of that more than I would like to admit!

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2014, 09:07:41 pm »
I'm still kickin' it old school with my Nokia flip phone, but I imagine by the time this one craps out, I won't have much choice other than to get a smart phone with touchscreen.  I've been bucking the system for years, but I suppose a time will come where I have to get one.  My wife bought one a year ago and one of the prerequisites that I imposed on her choice of phone is that spare parts must be readily available.  I'm an electronics tech by trade, so I'd much rather shell out $20 on eBay to replace a touchscreen for her than to have her pay the monthly warranty/replacement fee that those buggers always want to charge.  That's the funny thing about the more popular models like the Samsung Galaxy, or the iPhones - they are supper expensive to have to replace, but the parts to repair the common failures (cracked displays/touchscreens) are actually relatively cheap, and there are lots of videos on youtube that show how to swap them out and what to watch out for.

I'm sure none of this is any consolation to you J-Dub, but just thought I'd pass on a little wisdom to anyone else contemplating buying a new one.  A little research before deciding on a particular phone could save big bucks when the time comes to fix them.

Offline Mohawk13

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2014, 09:47:39 pm »
I also have a short bus flip phone,,Just My speed. I also have an old fashioned phone book with all My numbers written down...and a Rolodex...Anyone remember those????.....LOL
He That Raises the sword against us, Shall be cleaved upon seven fold-Talmud.

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2014, 09:51:33 pm »
Just suggestions for the future. And a useful tip on how to keep your exs number without your current knowing you have it ;) lol

Offline adb

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2014, 10:04:22 pm »
I was thinking the other day how hooped I'd be if I lost the contacts outta my "smart" phone. Unlike Cam, I stopped rockin' the flip phone a few months ago, cuz my contract ran out and I had no choice.

Offline Mohawk13

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2014, 11:36:35 pm »
Walmart Pre Pay..Only way to go..
He That Raises the sword against us, Shall be cleaved upon seven fold-Talmud.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2014, 11:43:35 pm »
Destroyed a few phones and lost all my contacts - royal pain in the butt....  I got a mil-spec flip phone this last time.  It was what the verizon salesman suggested when I told him I wanted something that I could not destroy.   I paid a little extra for it, and even though people look at it and say stuff like "Do they still make flip phones?", it was a good investment.  I have completely submerged it three times, dropped it from a rooftop and a moving vehicle and it still works fine.  That said, I back up my contacts elsewhere.  It is too much doggone trouble to have to go through that again.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline stickbender

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2014, 12:05:06 am »

I have a small flip phone.  It is all I need.  I don't want to pay for another computer service, on my phone.  I just want a phone!  And that is what I have.  sorry about your phone J.W.  At least you only stepped on it.  My old phone when I was working for the Fire Dept., fell out of my case, when I was getting my Bunker gear out, and as I turned to make sure the fuel nozzle was locked, I saw the Engine run over my phone.  Didn't look too bad at first.  Then when I opened it, up the screen was cracked, and weird looking.  Took it to Nextel, and they were able to retrieve the numbers off of my Sim card, but barely.  They replaced my phone, since it was insured.  I have Verizon now, and they don't repair squat.  Oh, we have this new model....... NO!  I just want a phone.  No TV, No computer, no weather, nothing but a phone!!    Any way, sorry for your loss.  I did after the Engine incident, write all my numbers down.

Wayne