Author Topic: Newbie question string alignement.  (Read 1909 times)

Offline turmoiler

Newbie question string alignement.
« on: March 28, 2014, 02:42:45 pm »
Hello pals,
I know this question is quite silly but I've made a mess and I can't remember how to fix it. I'm tillering a board bow, and the tiller is more or less ok but the string warps to the left. I want to fix it but I can't remember if I have to remove wood from the left side of the limbs or from the right side. I knew how to fix it but I can't remenber. Can you help me?

thanks

Offline 4dog

Re: Newbie question string alignement.
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 02:44:27 pm »
if it twisting left..tbat means the left is weak...scrape on thr RIGHT side to reduce the twist
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 03:08:07 pm »
what the dog man said

Offline adb

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 03:12:05 pm »
Yes... the limb will twist towards the weak side. Look down the limb with the bow braced from the nock end... if it's twisting left (counter clockwise), remove wood from the right side of the limb (the high side). I usually leave the bow braced and work the limb with a scraper to remove prop twist. You can instantly see the change. But, a little prop twist is not a big deal. If you can't see it at brace and it's <20 degrees at full draw, don't worry about it too much.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 03:14:11 pm »
Sometimes your twist issue is deeper than side to side thickness variance as well, especially on board type bows. The board can sometimes "spring" after its released from its rectangular milled shape.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline adb

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 03:49:11 pm »
I've had some bows... both board and stave... that had prop twist. Sometimes, regardless of what you do, it won't go away. I agree with Pearlie Boy... boards seem to be worse. Sometimes there seems to be some internal tension that rears it's ugly head when you reduce the dimensions of board wood. It seems to happen less (never for me yet) with laminated bows.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 04:03:12 pm by adb »

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2014, 03:58:36 pm »
if the board is rift sawn that could be the problem too, wood just wants to bend with the way the rings lay.

Offline turmoiler

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2014, 04:18:47 pm »
Thanks for the info. I'm going to try to fix it. It's a backed bow so I suppose that I will be able to remove the warping.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2014, 04:23:44 pm »
Was it glued up with a twist?  Pics really help us understand problems better.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline 4dog

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2014, 05:04:35 pm »
and watch the bow as you scrape you can see it going the other way...but too many scrapes and you might be in retillerville...so ...go....slow.
"SET" is always there !!!