Author Topic: Bark loose yet?  (Read 3125 times)

Don Case

Bark loose yet?
« on: March 26, 2014, 09:54:23 pm »
 The leaves on the Doug Maple and Pacific Crabapple are about to open here. When will the bark be loose enough for easy removal?
Don

Offline WhitefeatherFout

Re: Bark loose yet?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 10:32:50 pm »
Don, I'd say you are good to go if you are getting buds or leaves.  Sap has been running here in Ohio the last few weeks and the bark is coming off fairly nice.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 11:00:01 pm »
I'm cutting a hackberry tomorrow.  I hope the sap is up on it.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 06:40:52 am »
I took down a black walnut 2 days ago. The bark and cambium layer didn't come off as easily as I'd hoped. 2 years ago in early May on a similar tree the bark peeled off in long even layers. I'm going to wait a few more weeks before cutting down any more.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 06:58:44 am »
I'm cutting a hackberry tomorrow.  I hope the sap is up on it.
I'm guessing it will peel off. If not , let Ozzy make short work out of it  :o

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 07:52:01 am »
Sounds like I better pack the drawknives with me to Moon Tree.
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2014, 09:10:58 am »
Heck, we are still waiting for the ice to get loose.....
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2014, 09:24:51 am »
I prefer to wait until the leaves have come out and I read somewhere to wait until the leaves come out about 2/3 before cutting hickories. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2014, 09:32:31 am »
Id agree with that hickory comment Pat. I cut some elm, hickory and ash a few years back in April and all the bark fell off all of it except the hickory. I worked hard on that stuff.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline skarhand

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2014, 10:04:35 am »
I plan to take a couple ash trees down this spring. Any advice on when/how to do in ash?

Offline PatM

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2014, 10:20:59 am »
Up in Ontario I swear there hasn't been a hint of Spring yet.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2014, 10:31:32 am »
Im with you PatM........plenty of snow, frozen solid lakes and 20 deg temps for me in Michigan.

skar- ash is super easy. Cut it when the leaves start to come out, peel the bark off (easy), split it (very easy), and seal the whole back and ends with glue, paint, deck sealer, shellac, spray poly or anything else you can find.

Offline WhitefeatherFout

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2014, 11:01:31 am »
If you get three or four days where the temp is swinging 30 degrees or so from night to day the sap will be running pretty good and the bark should be loosening up.  It's been off and on here in southern Ohio, winter again this week!  Was up in Michigan a week or so ago, you guys can keep that stuff!  They were shoveling snow from around the tops of the road signs so you could read em!  Nah!

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2014, 12:18:36 pm »
I have cut down a few trees in every season because I just cant stop heading to the woods with an ax and bow saw! I think the easiest time to get white wood bark off is the day after a really good rain in early summer/ late spring. At this time, I can run a cut the entire length of a hickory or oak tree freshly cut down and take it off In a solid piece. Makes a cool little quiver if you add a bottom plug and string! Im in central NY so thats the only reference I have
John, 40-65# @ 28" Central New York state. Never enough bows, never enough arrows!

Offline Peacebow_Coos

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2014, 04:24:55 am »
We just tried peeling some cedar and maple bark this weekend and it was hit and miss, some pulled great some not so...I'd wait another week but it seems to be the area as well, try peeling a small section off, it won't kill the tree as long as it's a quarter or less than the circumference.