Author Topic: heat treating sealant questions  (Read 3997 times)

Offline ohiocountryboy

heat treating sealant questions
« on: March 26, 2014, 08:40:53 pm »
In tbb 4 when he talks about heat treating he says he uses spruce gum and terpintine i cant find spruce gum  what are good substitutes?

Offline PatM

Re: heat treating sealant questions
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 09:50:37 pm »
Most conifers will have similar resin. 

Offline ohiocountryboy

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 10:17:25 pm »
No clue how to harvest or even what it looks like .

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 10:26:09 pm »
I know spruce gum looks like pine resin and smells like it to
I like osage

Offline PatM

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 10:32:44 pm »
It's the stuff that oozes out when you cut off a branch. The resin oozes out and looks rather similar to honey. It dries out and may crystalize and appear sugary.
 Look at any conifer that has had branches pruned or broken off and you will see it.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 11:16:18 pm »
I used that process just last week on a persimmon bow I'm building. I used pine pitch dissolved in turpentine.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 11:24:07 pm »
There was never any good explanation (to my mind) WHY Marc does this while he heat treats.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline ohiocountryboy

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2014, 11:31:35 pm »
what should i use then? he said in the beginning he  brushed water  on it but switched to the varnish

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2014, 11:43:09 pm »
Plenty of people treat the belly's of their bows with fresh air as they heat treat 'em.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline zenart

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2014, 11:49:07 pm »
There was never any good explanation (to my mind) WHY Marc does this while he heat treats.

A guess:  Replenishing the wood to help avoid a brittle dry condition that heat produces.  Turpentine is a distillate from pine balsam. Adding the 'spruce' resin just makes it thicker. Could also use pure balsam extract but its very expensive.

My guess is he switched from water to solvent because it penetrates quicker and has a more 'relaxing' effect on the wood fibers… again, just a guess. Anyway, turps are -HIGHLY- flammable so watch it.
Huntington Beach, CA … there's no trees here but we do have lumber yards.

Offline PatM

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2014, 12:14:50 am »
It very likely also has the effect of shoring up the cells the same way Osage or Yew Heartwood has improved compression abilities due to the resin content.
  There was a product called toxwood that was wood impregnated with phenolic resin or similar that was used as a belly material in the early days of synthetics.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2014, 12:26:08 am »
Marc told me it was to replenish the oils and resins that are forced out of the wood due to deep heat treating. It probably makes the wood less brittle. It sure soaks it up.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2014, 01:00:37 am »
I havent tried rosin/turp mixes while heat-treating, but I can say that I really like shellac for this purpose.  Fresh dewaxed flakes dissolved in den or pure ethanol alcohol.  It penetrates the wood and plasticizes under high heat.  Its affects really shine in the osage early wood or any ring-porous wood for that matter.  It fills the empty spaces and makes for a more homogenous material.  Sands smoother too.  If the early wood rings are thick, use a substrate like pumice, wood dust from sanding or earth pigments to bind with the shellac and fill the larger pores. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2014, 08:58:31 am »
My reasoning for doing this is that I figured that the high heat was forcing out air from the wood cells and instead of letting the air get sucked back in as the wood cooled I would give it something else to get drawn in.  It is surprising how deep the resin gets sucked into the wood.  I have used other things besides Spruce resin.  In fact I started out by using Tung oil but that was starting to get a bit expensive.  Spruce/Pine resin is free, for me at least.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline JonW

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2014, 10:24:52 am »
I used Marc's method on a Hickory bow and I was very impressed. The bow does seem to be impervious to moisture unlike what you would expect from Hickory.