Author Topic: 22 ammo  (Read 5525 times)

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
22 ammo
« on: March 22, 2014, 01:59:43 am »
Today I found 22 ammo. $14.99 for 50 rat shot
$5 for 50. Both federal. I wanted the bullets, but was perturbed at the price of 10 cents per shell. Diego was with me and he really wanted me to get some. We left even though it was the first time I had even been able to buy 22 ammo in months.

I realized that I should get some so we went back twenty minutes later and bought the maximum of 3 boxes. $16.21 for 150 .22 caliber shells. Ticked me off  >:(

Anyone else even able to buy it?

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
Re: 22 ammo
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 02:21:02 am »
We can get it here but it's like $25-30  per box of 450 which is pretty cheap compared to most places, but you can't hardly find 22-250, 243 and 223, I hunt coyotes with a 22-250 so I go through a lot of ammo and I had to order a bunch from cable's because the local sporting goods store didn't have any and said it would be at least 3 weeks before they got more.
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 09:55:22 am »
It's 7$ a box for 50 here and I refuse to pay that and you can only buy one box per household per day.  I hate it and am boycotting.  My brother lives in Vermont, I have him send me big boxes for waaaaaay cheaper.  This drives me crazy but I'm not paying that much with those kinds of restrictions.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2014, 10:09:40 am »
It's called capitalism. The law of supply and demand.  As long as people will pay the price the price will remain the same and with the windfall the ammo manufacturers have made over the last year or so they can afford to just sit on their hands and wait for someone to buy at any price.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Josh B

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2014, 10:41:56 am »
With one exception, you're absolutely correct Pat!  But it's not the manufacturers that are gouging the price.  Its unscrupulous businesses further down the supply line.  I have found a few places that are honest and still sell it at a reasonable price although limited quantity.  As long people are stupid enough to pay the outrageous prices, this is gonna keep dragging on.  If someone is idiotic enough to pay $75 + a brick for as much as they can buy, then they are the problem.  I'm sick of hearing people bragging about buying 10 or 20 bricks from so and so and then complaining about how much it costs.  Sorry, touchy subject with me.  My kids burn through a lot of .22 lr, but I'll not pay these exorbitant prices.  I'll have the kids shooting their air rifles first.  Josh

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2014, 11:11:17 am »
I've got a 22 mag.  Last year I flat couldn't buy ammo for it at any price.  Bass Pro Shop, Cabella's, Academy, nor any of the local gun stores had any for months.  When they did get some in it was gone within minutes, people standing in long lines for it.  Better now, but it's $20.00 for a box of 50.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2014, 11:13:43 am »
I don't understand folks bragging about all the guns they have, the variety of guns they have and how much and what kind of ammo they have stockpiled. Seems to me that is asking for scrutiny by the powers that be. Once it goes on the internet it stays on the internet forever.
 It is ashamed that .22s are so expensive. We shot lots on .22s and 410 shotguns over the years. It is an inexpensive and useful way to teach proper use of guns and gun safety. I wasn't allowed to own a gun when I grew up. My Dad was a police court judge and just didn't want guns in his house.  I was fortunate to have a neighbor that did have guns and he taught me and my siblings the safe and proper way to use and handle guns, and with my Dad's blessing. In high school(military high school) I was issued a M-1 Garand, was on the firing squad and the rifle team. These days I get more pleasure out of shooting bows than I do shooting guns.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2014, 11:49:40 am »
Still a shortage here but it is available if you want to stand in line. Gander Mountain get it's supply of 22 stuff on Wednesday mornings. When they open on Wednesdays at 9 there will be a line of about 30 people waiting for bullets. The manager gives everyone a number, tells you what the box limit per person is and lets you go one at a time to the 22 bullet isle. Sounds like a hassle but is actually fun as there are like minded folk in line and hunting and gun stories abound while you are waiting your turn. The shelves will be empty in an hour or so.

I have stood in the que twice, 4K limit on rounds the first time, about a 1000 rounds the last time, it all depends on what they get in. Early on they were letting people buy 10, 1300 round tubs which the buyers promptly flipped to Gun Broker. Now they limit the individual purchase to make the daily stock last longer and be available to more people.

Prices aren't out of line, I paid $12 a box for 50 rounds of 22WMR last time out. I picked up 5 boxes for my Ruger Single Six with plans on assaulting the local armadillo population with the gun. I have killed 24 with my 22 rifle and am going to switch to the pistol to make things more challenging.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 11:58:14 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2014, 12:14:09 pm »
The new Field and Stream store by me is always stocked full of ammo.  No waiting and no lines.  They sent me and the wife each a $10 coupon in the mail last week.  I used mine on a box of 9mm.  I walked out with 50 rounds for $8
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2014, 12:22:51 pm »
I have not tried to buy any for a while now. Last brick I bought and have been stretching out was 35$.

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2014, 01:43:03 pm »
My wife works at ATK in Lewiston Idaho.They own CCI and Federal. They are cranking out .22 shells by the millions daily. They are not charging anymore than they ever have. it's definitely being manipulated farther down the supply line.Dealers and distributors are having their way. Because my wife works there,she buys it at a discount in the company store. About 3 cents a round.  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2014, 04:29:08 pm »
I don't understand folks bragging about all the guns they have, the variety of guns they have and how much and what kind of ammo they have stockpiled. Seems to me that is asking for scrutiny by the powers that be. Once it goes on the internet it stays on the internet forever.
 It is ashamed that .22s are so expensive. We shot lots on .22s and 410 shotguns over the years. It is an inexpensive and useful way to teach proper use of guns and gun safety. I wasn't allowed to own a gun when I grew up. My Dad was a police court judge and just didn't want guns in his house.  I was fortunate to have a neighbor that did have guns and he taught me and my siblings the safe and proper way to use and handle guns, and with my Dad's blessing. In high school(military high school) I was issued a M-1 Garand, was on the firing squad and the rifle team. These days I get more pleasure out of shooting bows than I do shooting guns.

Hey Pat, can I ask what school you went too?
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2014, 05:19:33 pm »
Benedictine Military School in Savannah, GA, run by Benedictine Catholic priest with ROTC. My Dad graduated in 1918, my older brother in 1964, me in 1969 and my younger brother in 1971.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2014, 06:54:43 pm »
The last 22's I bought came from Cipriano. :)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Mohawk13

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2014, 05:41:58 am »
All stores in NW MN well stocked and normal prices. Seems to be a regional issues as friends in WA State can't find much and it is expensive..
He That Raises the sword against us, Shall be cleaved upon seven fold-Talmud.