Author Topic: The "You've Got to be Kidding" Birdseye Crabapple Bow  (Read 58217 times)

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

Re: The "You've Got to be Kidding" Birdseye Crabapple Bow
« Reply #60 on: December 28, 2007, 09:07:04 pm »
THAT,..is the most beautiful bow I've ever seen,..EVER !!!!
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline Jbell

« Reply #61 on: December 28, 2007, 09:17:52 pm »
I have been away from PA for a few days and this is what I come back to....OMG!!! I don't think their is any compliments left to give J.D.  Simply stunning, thats all I can say. :o
Justin Blunt

wvfknapper

« Reply #62 on: December 28, 2007, 09:24:28 pm »
JD

Try and find the landowner and they might give you permission to cut the tree's ,, I got permission from a coal company to remove some wood, so asking never hurts.

wvflintknapper

Offline Gordon

« Reply #63 on: December 28, 2007, 09:52:14 pm »
JD, I just happen to have a set of crab apple billets in my garage. Your bow has inspired me greatly to do something with them.
Gordon

Offline juniper junkie

« Reply #64 on: December 28, 2007, 10:38:04 pm »
WOW! you are one brave dude. with all those knots I would think that it would have the life expectancy of a shrew :D you did a great job on tillering such a challenging stave.

duffontap

« Reply #65 on: December 29, 2007, 04:48:09 am »
Hey Manny--thanks a lot.  You've seen some pretty nice bows (and made a few yourself!)  I was thinking a while back, I wonder if anyone will ever tie with themselves again like you did?  That was the first thing I read when I first signed on here.  Again, thanks. 

Jbell, I appreciate it Jbell.  I've been away for a couple months.  It has been a warm welcome from all my friends here at PA.

wvflintknapper, I should.  I have permission to cut on a number of acres of private land but the Crabapple doesn't seem to like tree farms as much as it likes the beach and the swamplands around town.  I guess I could check with the Department of Transportation to see if I could get a permit for along the highway.  I did notice that the last storm blew some down in a few fields near town and I was thinking about trying to get some billets out of them if I could find the owners.  I'll post if I do. 

Gordon, I would love to see a picture of your billets.  One thing I've noticed about Crabapple is that it's tough to debark.  I've cut it in spring and fall and it was a major chore to get the bark worked off all the bumps and out of all the valleys these staves tend to have.  Perhaps powerwashing would be the best trick?  Also, I should try to cut some in midsummer.  Sap may be higher then. 

Juniper, I don't doubt that it would have the life expectancy of a shrew.  This wood is really tough and I worked the outline to the best advantage I could see.  Like I said in an earlier post though, I'm not pretending that it's something that it's not.  A bow with that much character may shoot well but the life expectancy is just going to suffer.  If I didn't have faith in the stave, I certainly wouldn't have tillered it to 70# @ 28", but then I wont be taking it elk hunting either.  In other words, it is what it is.  Thanks again.

J. D. Duff

tpoof

« Reply #66 on: December 29, 2007, 11:47:37 am »
That bow is so ugly its beautiful!!! :o ;D ;D awesome skills you've got there.... awesome..

duffontap

« Reply #67 on: December 29, 2007, 04:33:06 pm »
That bow is so ugly its beautiful!!! :o ;D ;D awesome skills you've got there.... awesome..

Hard to know how to take that first part.   ;D  Ha, ha.  To be honest I was going for plain old beautiful but the back was left as rustic as possible.  Everything else is as refined as I could get it.  Thanks again!

J. D. Duff

Offline Kegan

« Reply #68 on: December 29, 2007, 07:46:45 pm »
HA- my computer finally let me load this :)!

WOW- now THAT is a bow man! Got my vote for BOM man ;D.

And to think, the tree that most often gets stuck in my bowstring would work well with a bowstring >:D!

You're an inspiration man- wicked bow ;D!

Offline Loki

« Reply #69 on: December 29, 2007, 11:31:55 pm »
Is your Crabapple the same species as the one in England J.D ? Malus Sylvestris,if so there's a few in my mams garden  ;D.
http://www.british-trees.com/guide/crabapple.htm
Durham,England

duffontap

« Reply #70 on: December 30, 2007, 12:56:58 am »
Kegan, I wonder why you couldn't load the page?  That's weird.  Hey, thanks for the compliments.  With the head start you've got on me, you'll make me irrelevant in no time. ;D

Hey Loki,  The stuff I have around here is Malus fusca.  It may be very similar to what you have.  It's a very dense wood that will barely float or even sink like a rock in water.  There are a lot of things that make a bow wood worth using--availability, elasticity, density, compression strength, beauty, workability, etc.  Crabapple has everything but the availability of lots of clean staves.  There are nearly perfect staves out there but they are hard to find.  Billets are much more likely.  When you do find one, you'll find a wood that tools like purpleheart, and holds up like Osage.  It's pretty cool. 

http://depts.washington.edu/propplnt/Plants/M_fusca.htm

J. D.

tpoof

« Reply #71 on: December 30, 2007, 12:14:20 pm »
Hey JD! just came back to have another look at that bow again! It keeps callin... :D
I guess I did leave you with a hard to read statement... ;D
I guess I was taken aback some when I first seen the pics! Took awhile to pick my jaw off the floor! :o ;D
I've got a real soft spot for well done character bows.. ;)
Just looking at the back of that bow gives me the desire to try to attempt a character bow as well. Its so gnarley and humpy bumpy its all I can do to try to see a bow in that piece of wood! The job you've done on that stick is inspiration to all I'll reckon!
I've got a chokecherry stave that is almost as wonky as your crabapple that I have debarked and just sitting in the vise waiting....
waiting for something like this thread to inspire and motivate...
Again nice job on the bow! and thanks for the motivation! ;D

Offline Badger

« Reply #72 on: December 30, 2007, 12:36:20 pm »
Justin, that has to be one of the coolest bows I have ever seen. I have a feeling a lot of us will be out looking for character staves after seeing yours. I do a few a year but they are seldom straight enough or too twisted to take very seriously, now I am seriously looking for something with character. We need to get a bowyers calender going to showcase some of the great work you guys are doing. Steve

Offline Little John

« Reply #73 on: December 30, 2007, 02:05:13 pm »
J.D. I think you just did tie your self with this awsome character bow and your Mary Rose replica, just can't imagine your abality to turn out such bows.  This one has the most character, is the most knotty, most inspiring, most attention to detail, nicest handle wrap and is the coolest bow I have ever seen or hope to see. Cant believe you were brave enouigh to go  for such a heavy draw weight, and skillful enough to pull it off. I would be afraid to shoot it  for fear I would die if it should fail. Can,t wait to vote.    Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #74 on: December 30, 2007, 02:26:38 pm »
Same here ;D, I have to go back and look at this bow every time I sing in, ...INCREDIBLE !!
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII