Author Topic: The "You've Got to be Kidding" Birdseye Crabapple Bow  (Read 58207 times)

Offline Keenan

Re: The "You've Got to be Kidding" Birdseye Crabapple Bow
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2007, 12:17:16 pm »
 Just can't quit looking at that beauty JD.  I'm wonder if my wife would notice if the crabapple in our yeard was missing. LOL   Keenan

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2007, 12:58:05 pm »
Not only primitive but a skillfully-made bow.  Handle wrap is tops!!
How'd my dog get in the pics? Anyway, truly bookmarked for Dec Self Bow of the Month!!
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline timber wolfe

« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2007, 01:36:01 pm »
Absolutely beautiful! I was going to post the question "can you use crabapple to make a bow?"  So now I know.  I live on Vancouver Island and I am looking for native bow wood.  The crabapple we have here is Pacific Crabapple.  Do you know if this is similar to the species that you use?  The knots in your stave are many.  I have Pacific Yew staves with knots ...and was wondering - how can I tell if these knots would be detrimental to the bow?  Being a first-time bow-builder, how can you tell if a stave is suitable for bow-building before you start?  Or do you just go ahead and try making it and see what the outcome is?

Offline The Burnt Hill Archer

• Potter County, Pennsylvania
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2007, 01:57:44 pm »
Wow....just wow. ive printed thoes pictures off and theyre going up in my shop. just a little reminder about how real bows are supposed to look! its verry humbling to be able to rub shoulders with great bowyers such as yourself and many others on this site! ive got some thorn apple here on my land, verry hard stuff! sounds about like what youve got there, just wondering what your thoughts on it might be, i live in northern Pa. i cut some last year while we were clearing some pasture land for my pops. did a density test and it was something around 80 to 90 from what i could tell. There are some reletively strait trunks that ive found. sorry for rambling, i get all worked up looking at beautifull bows ;D

Phil
stalk softly, and carry a bent stick.

Offline Jesse

« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2007, 02:53:19 pm »
JD that is a beauty. I think you made a good example of what can be done with a horrible piece of wood and lot of patience. You have my vote for sure.
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

duffontap

« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2007, 02:57:37 pm »
Keenan, You should cut that thing down!  Ha, ha.  I wish I could get permission to cut Crabapple in a local swamp--I'd be set for life. 

Thanks Oldbow!  I've been working hard on my grips.  I think it's one of the most difficult parts to keep natural looking.

Timber Wolfe, I'm not sure there is a difference.  I've studied what my tree books say about Crabapple and it seems that Pacific/Oregon are used interchangeably.  I have another Crabapple bow I made from a very clean stave that draws about 90# @ 28" and I've pulled it a lot further than that.  It's great wood.  Look for the cleanest, straightest, stave you can find and it will last forever.

Phil,  What an honor to have a picture in someone else's shop.  By 'thorn apple' do you mean, Osage or Hedgeapple?  Crabapple is also called 'thorn apple' and 'ironwood' in some areas but I don't know if what you have is the same thing.  If it's any of those things, however, it should make a great bow.  Your density test is more than good news, too.  Let us know what happens.

WIBOWYER, Thanks a lot.  It's a definite 'worst case' stave. 

J. D. Duff

Offline The Burnt Hill Archer

• Potter County, Pennsylvania
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2007, 03:45:30 pm »
ya know im not sure what the actual name for it is, i know for sure that its not osage :'(, it grows probably at the most 20 ft tall, and the largest trunk ive seen was probably 10-12 inches. like i said ive got a couple of trees in my mind right now that i think i can get at least 68 inces out of...youve inspired me to go grab a chainsaw! thanks!
Phil
stalk softly, and carry a bent stick.

Offline Shooter

« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2007, 04:37:11 pm »
Fantastic work on that one.

Bishop

« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2007, 05:00:46 pm »
JD
 Im a sucker for a pretty bow, and that is a piece of artwork my friend, wow, what can you say about that.......wow.

Bishop

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2007, 05:24:14 pm »
Fantastic!!!!

Offline Loki

« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2007, 05:28:27 pm »
Beautiful Bow JD,just Gorgeous!

Pax
Durham,England

Offline Kviljo

• Archaeologist, Antitheist
« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2007, 06:15:31 pm »
Wow! That's really cool!

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2007, 06:38:54 pm »
Wow!!...Bow of the Year? Great bow J.D.....Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

wvfknapper

« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2007, 06:42:19 pm »
Sweeeeeeeeeet! Thats one nice bow and the knots just scream primitive.

wvflintknapper

Offline carpenter374

« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2007, 07:28:01 pm »
awesome, dude...just awesome. coolest character i've ever seen.
"Those who would sacrifice their freedom for safety will find that they will inherit neither." -Ben Franklin     

--Carpenter