Author Topic: Planning a primitive excursion.  (Read 6666 times)

Offline stickbender

Re: Planning a primitive excursion.
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2014, 04:11:24 pm »
I don't know where you live since it's not in your profile but, I'd invest in a Thermasal. I think whoever came up with this idea should recieve the Nobel Peace Prize, since mosquitos kill more people in the world than anything else.

If you want to go ABO, when I was in Brazil the first time, we used diesel fuel and urine. :)
Remind me not to shake your hand, any time after you've been to Brazil! :P

Wayne

Offline stickbender

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2014, 04:26:45 pm »

Definitely Therma Cell!  Like Eddie said the guy who invented that should get a Nobel peace prize.  At least he actually did something for it!  Someone on here, said that they would kiss the guy who invented Therma Cell.  I would give him a big hug, and shake his hand....... if he hasn't been to Brazil recently. ::)

Wayne

Offline Mallorn

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2014, 06:30:00 pm »
I live where the mosquitos are a nightmare, and while I have never used Thermacell, I have had wonderful luck with "S C Johnson Wax Off Clip On Mosquito Repellent Battery Operated Fan"  I hate smelling like bug spray, and this thing is quiet and very effective.  We fight over getting to be the one to wear it in our house, when outdoors.  Speaking of which, maybe I should just buy a couple more...

Offline Ross.m.

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2014, 01:22:22 am »
Thanks for all of the suggestions! I think I will try the natural route in catnip first, and if that fails then I will definitely buy a thermacell.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2014, 06:49:05 pm »
Lots of good info here,
Skin so Soft works good because the bugs get stuck in it and can't bite. Sorta like fuel oil should work.
You don't have to pee in it because it all ready stinks.
I would bring a good sized hunk of plastic sheeting in case your shelter fails in a thunderstorm or hail storm.
Hypothermia could be your worst enemy.
Zuma
We used Thermacell on an island infested with no- seeums. It actually worked
well. Not to primitive though.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 10:12:00 pm by Zuma »
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.