Author Topic: Planning a primitive excursion.  (Read 6667 times)

Offline Ross.m.

Planning a primitive excursion.
« on: March 21, 2014, 12:19:11 am »
I'm planning a survival trip sometime this summer. My only worries are the Mosquitos, which are really bad here. I don't want to bring gallons of bug spray, and I hate the way it feels on my skin. I know of some plants such as catnip and lemon balm that can be used as a bug repellent. Does anyone know the effectiveness of these plants? Also, if i wanted to bring my bow, what type of protective bag do you suggest?

Offline PrimitiveTim

Re: Planning a primitive excursion.
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 12:49:34 am »
What do you mean by primitive?  As for protection for your bow, seal it with any type of natural sealant or use a tanned and smoked animal hide to make a case for your bow.

As for mosquitoes... hahaha, you're gonna get bit. lol.  I'm not really familiar with those plants but you really ought to experiment with them on your own to get an accurate idea of how effective they are.  There will be times of heightened mosquito activity which are normally dusk and dawn.  Mosquitoes also like dense brush and woods.  If you can get out somewhere open where maybe a breeze runs through that would be ideal.  When you sleep cover yourself with these plants if they do prove to repel mosquitoes.  You ever hear those stories of natives forcing their children to sit in cold streams... I'm sure there is a similar concept in dealing with mosquitoes.  Your body will build up an immunity to the bites so that anti-coagulant injected by the mosquito will not leave itchy bumps.  That means you're going to have to get bit a lot though. 

Here's a one nighter I did a couple months ago that was all primitive.  I'd advise starting with one night, and finding out what your issues are going to be then progress from there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4pj13t58iE

It's big mind game out there with nature.  Have fun and be safe!
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline Wylden Freeborne

• This Is Primal War
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 12:51:33 am »
Mud or clay are good for bugs as is pine tar or cedar oil. Wool or leather for bow sock. Have a blast!
"The end of the human race will be that it will eventually die of civilization." Emerson

Offline Wiley

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 01:00:43 am »
Catnip doesn't grow native here. Essential oil of catnip is apparently about 10 times as potent at repelling mosquitoes as DEET.

I would bring a small bottle of it, and a small spray bottle. put some catnip oil in the little spray bottle, fill the rest of the way with water. Shake it up and spray all over yourself. A small bottle of catnip oil would probably contain hundreds of pounds worth of catnip foliage, and it's the oils in it that plant repels mosquito. It's good to have some way of mixing and dispersing it because it won't dissolve well in water. If you have some sort of alcohol or oil it should dissolve into that.
Could even figure out which oils repel the other local bugs and blend the oil together to make an even more effective wide range bug repellent.

Never used lemonbalm, but lemongrass and peppermint oil dilution seemed to work quite well in the temperate rain forest of north carolina in the summer. Most any type of mint rubbed on the skin will more likely to find that growing wild.

Other than that, a good layer of dirt/clay will impede the mosquitos. Bit more primitive route using native mint and mud. If you have pine trees, look around for rotted out stumps and collect some of the resinous heart/fatwood. Great for getting fires started, and when it burns it produces a black smoke that the mosquitoes do not enjoy. You'll know it when you kick a stump and find something hard. Take a blade to it and the cut will smell of turpentine.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 01:04:52 am by Wiley »

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 01:08:59 am »
 First of all............ where are you going, and where are you from?  Depending on how hungry the little devils are , full armour might be your best bet. They can and will bite you through heavy denim jeans, and I swear that those bug sprays are just a bit of added flavour. I've  had them bite through a puddle of deet and not even flinch.  Bug Jacket is your safest , chemical free bet.  I think that different products work for different people. I think it was deep woods family blah, blah, blah that worked for me last year. It smelled like watermelons.Of course that was in an area that wasn't too bad. Campfire helps. When we rented a little cabin for a week  (next to a swamp in Northern Ontario) the mosquitoes were at there worst. Very wet year with lots of standing water.  If you had exposed skin , there would be dozens of them on you instantly. 

Take extreme care when exposing yourself ( call of nature) !!!! 

You will also want to check game laws regarding the possession of a weapon with no open season  in your area. Carrying your bow could land you in some hot water ,even if you aren't up to no good.

Have fun!

P.S. You could try winter camping !  Less mosquitoes when you are snowshoeing!

Offline Ross.m.

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 11:22:24 am »
I'm in northern ohio, but I will be on an island in the middle of a river, so it will be ripe with Mosquitos.
  I plan on staying a weekend at most, making my own shelter and trying to gather enough plants for at least 1 meal while I'm there. Shouldn't be anything too crazy and hopefully I can make it relatively mosquito free. I also want to make a few stone tools and fashion a handle or two. If y'all have any other ideas/ suggestions I'd be glad to hear them!

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2014, 01:11:25 pm »
Skeeters are not that big of a problem
There will be many weekends thru the year that they are not a big problem
Cool weather and dry weather are low skeeter times
Keep an eye out for rain upstream from you, the water can raise quickly with out it even raining on you
your bow will be fine ,if you can stand being in the weather it won't bother your bow either
What river you planning on hiding out in?
Have fun
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2014, 07:06:24 pm »
Depending on the size of River and Island that might be the best place for you. Mosquitoes need stagnant water , not running . If the river is big enough that you have a fair distance between you and the main land , there is usually a bit of breeze. The Island may even be relatively mosquito free! First nice weather in the spring  or later in the fall ,when it still gets cold at night  are good times to avoid the swarms. No Blackflies where you are?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2014, 10:30:36 pm »
I don't know where you live since it's not in your profile but, I'd invest in a Thermasal. I think whoever came up with this idea should recieve the Nobel Peace Prize, since mosquitos kill more people in the world than anything else.

If you want to go ABO, when I was in Brazil the first time, we used diesel fuel and urine. :)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Ross.m.

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2014, 02:27:46 am »
It is on the maimed river near Toledo. Not  a huge river but hopefully big enough to provide bug relief and isolation.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2014, 09:41:13 am »
How neer to Toledo?
Most of the islands neer there are park property so you may want to talk to them , or wear camouflage and not take a bow or you may attract attention you don't want!
Let me know how it goes
I am less than an hour away so maybe we can get together some time!
Have fun
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Renacs

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2014, 02:49:38 pm »
You should be able to carry your bow if youre ”bow fishing”. Or if you go some where that you can coyote hunt. Its goin to feel less than remote anywhere on the maumee . Youre close enough to Ohio power,(a.e.p) that you might want to consider it.

Offline Ross.m.

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2014, 03:20:43 pm »
What is ohio power?

Offline Renacs

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2014, 03:31:13 pm »
Its reclaimed strip mines south of zainesville. About 50,000 acres with hundreds of ponds, mostly from beavers. The terrain is hilly, and the waters is crystal clear. Your supposed to camp in desinated areas but we usually ”fish” all night. look it up from ODNR.com and u can get a free map and permit. A.E.P owns it now.

Offline Renacs

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2014, 03:45:16 pm »
And one more note. Earlier the better. It gets pretty thick durring the warmer months.