Author Topic: The family that makes bows together stays together!!!  (Read 24897 times)

blackhawk

The family that makes bows together stays together!!!
« on: March 20, 2014, 09:12:23 am »
A few of my family members need a new bow and I ain't making them all >:D(even tho it might be faster if I did..lol ;D)...so last night they invaded my man cave for an hour and a half...they got there choice of any kind of wood(self bow,or a lam bow)..the oldest picked out a black locust stave(n him n I will be working his later)...the wife picked out an osage stave(given to me by Clint aka osage outlaw..thanks pal) for a self bow...she just had to have osage even tho its prob the toughest to work..I guess a yew or red cedar would've been just too easy for her...she can handle the ride tho,cus she's a tough West Virginia gal ...

Here she is starting to remove the bark

It took several times showing and explaining how to chase a ring,and how to yield a drawknife...and at the same time I was monitoring all those young yahoos as well!!!!

My two year old baby girl rasping away on some cedar!!!

Our oldest daughter was waiting her turn to use the rasp and asked "can I rape the wood"....we both had to keep straight faces when she said that...it was tough..lol.

Well...the wife only got a few rings down half way across,but she actually picked it up pretty fast and was able to follow a ring all that way down..she wasn't fast about it,but she did really good,and pretty much got the technique down...thought I'd never see the day with a drawknife in her hand making a bow...she actually enjoyed it!!! Sweeeeet..oh wait? Now I need to find a new place to "get away", cus now my shops gonna be invaded by girlie cuties!!!!lol

This was where we ended,and since everybody did so well daddy took the family out for dinner after...

I'll keep posting progress of where everybody's is....its gonna take awhile tho so be patient ...thanks for looking

Offline osage outlaw

Re: The family that makes bows together stays together!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 09:16:26 am »
That's pretty cool BH.  Good luck with that osage stave.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline rps3

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 09:28:06 am »
Looks like it could be a challenge maintaining order, but worth it for sure.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 09:34:22 am »
Very cool, ;) :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 09:35:20 am »
That is certainly very nice to see. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 09:38:17 am »
Awesome pics! That little turd is growing fast. I love that long blonde hair! cutey
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2014, 09:40:41 am »
great pictures, way to go!
45# at 27"

Offline Jesse

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2014, 09:50:25 am »
Love it :)
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Josh B

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2014, 09:55:03 am »
Way cool Chris!  It's really good to see!  I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's progress.  Josh

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2014, 09:57:13 am »
That is so awesome.  My wife only fusses when I track Osage dust back upstairs on my boots!  She has no interest at all.  Both of my sons have given it a go, with the older one, Zach, having a hickory bow about halfway done.  He hasn't touched it in months, though.  My younger one ,Isaac (Biscuit), has hacked around on various scraps and generally ends up just slaying various evil beasts of his imagination with an Osage sword.  Cool pics there, Hawk.
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

blackhawk

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2014, 10:12:41 am »
Thanks guys...yeah maintaining order was fun while trying to teach my wife while the younglings had sharp tools in there hands ;) kept me on my toes ;)

Greg that's usually what happens here as well with my two youngest ones...they just like to use the tools and destroy scrap pieces of wood,then end up sword fighting..lol. last year my youngest boy and I actually cut a sapling down together,and he did a lot of the work all the way till tillering,n it ended up breaking on us close to full draw :( ...we were bummed cus we spent all that time together on it(but I guess the time spent together was worth more :)..) ....I have an osage kids blank already to go for him ready for tillering,n I'll have him help me on it and tell him where and how many times to scrape etc...

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2014, 10:36:20 am »
Thats great! my fiance wants to try her hand at bow making when the weather warms up enough, and my two year old "rasps" pieces too! cant wait to see the final results!
John, 40-65# @ 28" Central New York state. Never enough bows, never enough arrows!

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2014, 10:37:09 am »
Very cool Hawkster. 

Offline Wiley

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2014, 10:56:29 am »
Very cool, will be interesting to see how the bows progress.

Nice to get family involved in things you can enjoy together, but you've most definitely lost your man cave, it's become a family workshop at this point. Worth the sacrifice though.

Offline skarhand

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2014, 11:17:12 am »
That looks fun. I made my son promise to get his school and chores done so we can go out and work on our Projects when I get home from work today.

Not much of a better way to build family bonds then building stuff together. Love it.