Author Topic: Quick question (Full draw pic added)  (Read 3187 times)

Offline budgolf

• Take me to the woods!
Quick question (Full draw pic added)
« on: March 16, 2014, 09:56:16 pm »
So my bow finished out at around 31 pounds at 28 inches of draw. Im 70 inches NTN. The tiller isn't great but it will flat fling an arrow. I wanted 45 pounds at 28. Anyway, my question is, should I cut it down a bit? Hopefully I can improve the tiller and get my draw weight up to where I want it. My concern is, it's oak with a fabric backing. I go to much and it explodes. It would be awesome if I could just get it to 40. If cutting it down is an alright idea, how much should I start with? An inch from each end?

« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 11:39:34 am by budgolf »

Offline H Rhodes

Re: Quick question
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 10:14:30 pm »
Piking it an inch and a half from each limb shouldn't be a problem on a bow that long - that is my knee jerk answer.  More pics with a full draw photo might get you some better advice.       
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 06:49:50 am »
I need to see a full draw pic first, that shows the tiller. But going from 31 pounds to 40 pounds, means you would have to pike it at least 5" probably. In my opinion, that is too much. You're going too short then, and still don't have a good tiller necessarily.
My advice: pike it one inch from either end. Retiller. Be happy with what you got, and go make the next one!
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline budgolf

• Take me to the woods!
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 11:38:51 am »
Ok gentleman here she is at full draw. Sorry the pic isn't the best. It looks to me like the upper limb is still a bit stiffer than the lower and the fades could be taken down. I think if I cut it down I can improve the tiller and get a few more pounds out of it.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Quick question (Full draw pic added)
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 11:42:43 am »
Pretty stiff in the first 12" of each limb, you will lose about 5-6# loosening those buggers up.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline 4dog

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 11:43:35 am »
looks like you got no bend out if the first third of either limb out of the fades start your scraping there..i may be wrong but it dont look like its bending at all there.  my 2cents.
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 11:50:37 am »
budgolf, I used to live in fayettville, I knew it when I seen all those tall pines...Get the fades moving a bit, take 2" off each tip. I would say heat temper the belly but you got her all finished up. Good heat temper could jump you 5 lbs give or take.
                                                                Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Clean_Missed

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 12:26:03 pm »
Budgolf,

I posted a similar question a few days ago about my 70" N2N maple bow(Bow #2). I ended up about 10# light by the time I was satisfied with the tiller. Based on replies I received I am in the process of trimming the bow down to 68" N2N. Its a little more than was recommended but it will work out better for the strings I have. Heat treating was recommended to me as well to temper the belly but I'm a bit gun-shy as this is only my second bow. I should have it back on the tiller tree by tomorrow. Ill let you know my findings. Here is the link to the replies I received. Good luck.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,45647.0.html
Sincerely,

Clean_Missed

"As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it."

-ALBERT EINSTEIN

Offline adb

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 03:52:56 pm »
Your fades (especially the top limb) are not bending at all. If you pike that bow, it will only make your existing problem worse. Your bow is only bending in a small area pretty much in the middle of each limb. The wood in that spot is highly overstressed while the rest of the limb is contributing nothing. I'd get those fades moving.

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2014, 04:28:17 pm »
definitely work those fades down a bit , look up tillering gizmo, make one it will change ur life than u can tell whats flat and what aint, go slow and good luk these guys here will set ya down the rite path
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline bubby

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2014, 04:37:49 pm »
loosen up the inner limb like has been said, make a gizmo or just use a straight edge 6" long and get it moveing evenly and then cut a few inches , if you want to raise the draw weight pike it two inches each end or give it to someone that can use a lighter weight bow and build anouther
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline budgolf

• Take me to the woods!
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2014, 06:07:22 pm »
Thanks guys

mikekeswick

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2014, 06:19:51 pm »
I'd use this one as a learning tool. Don't bother piking it just get the tiller dead on by doing what has been said. I would think by the time it's bending right and sanded you will lose 10 lbs so forget about the weight and concentrate on distributing the stresses with good tiller - this is more important than anything else!
Then with what you have learned make a great bow!
Definately make yourself a tillering gizmo as well. Superb aid when you are just starting.
Good luck.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2014, 11:05:35 pm »
All the bending is happening at mid limb. Not much of the rest of the bow is bending. A bow with the tiller so way off should not be piked. You are just adding one problem on top of another. She may break on you. She survived because she's long.

Start another bow and get some experience tillering is my advice.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline PAHunter

• "If your not having fun, what's the point?" - Khan
    • Victory Before Combat (My YouTube Page)
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2014, 02:11:22 am »
If this is your first, you may want to shelf it and be proud you produced a working bow as you move on.  If not, or if you would rather get as much learning as possible...  You can cut off 2'' from each end and then take some wood off the inner and outter 1/3rds of the limbs but don't touch the center section.  When it's all done you may not gain a tone of poundage but you should end up with a much better tiller and better shooting bow.  Good luck!
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln