Author Topic: Can I Trim this to fix it?  (Read 6629 times)

Offline Clean_Missed

Re: Can I Trim this to fix it?
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2014, 04:23:49 pm »
I made a decision and have commenced with piking the bow. Part of the decision is due to the fact that I had a different string ordered than I thought (for a 68" N2N bow) so I have Trimmed the tips, beveled the ends and spliced on cherry tips with a purple heart overlay. I'm hoping that I'll have gained a few pounds after re-tillering. I am still toying with the idea of trying to temper the belly with some heat. I watched Marc St.Louis' videos on heat treating and it doesn't seem to difficult, just time consuming. As of yet Im undecided.

Adam, I know you said I should save the fancy stuff for a few bows down the road but he Lord hates a coward, right?  ;)
Sincerely,

Clean_Missed

"As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it."

-ALBERT EINSTEIN

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2014, 04:43:48 pm »
OK, my opinion of the tiller, badly whip tillered with real hingy spots about a foot in from the tips and stiff spots for aways from the handle out. Make a tillering gizmo, get the rest of the limbs bending evenly and then pike the bow.

Offline adb

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2014, 04:53:50 pm »
OK, my opinion of the tiller, badly whip tillered with real hingy spots about a foot in from the tips and stiff spots for aways from the handle out. Make a tillering gizmo, get the rest of the limbs bending evenly and then pike the bow.

Badly whip tillered?? I think you should clean your glasses and have another look. If you think that's whip tillered, you've never seen a whip tillered bow. Other than the top fade being a bit stiff, his tiller is fine.

Here's what whip tillered looks like:

Not sure who is in the pic... just found this with a google search.

Offline adb

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2014, 05:05:21 pm »
Don't let me hold you back, Brendon! Pretty much everyone hates a coward! You wanna heat treat... I say go for it!

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2014, 06:05:53 pm »
I would go for it if that's what u think, my first bow I did things ppl said I shouldn't. Hell I still do >:D
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2014, 06:21:28 pm »
I was very skeptical about the risk/reward when I first started heat tempering.  I have found little risk if any.
Don't burn it clean thru.
Don't heat treat the back.
Outside of that, it's pretty simple with a lot of upside.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2014, 08:27:17 pm »
I have made a lot of bows and call them as I see them. Run a gizmo up those limbs at it will show you exactly what I mentioned, guaranteed. 145 bows worth of experience has given me a pretty good eye and my glasses are spotlessly clean.

As for the picture, that is not what a whip tillered bow looks like, that is what poorly tillered, hinged at mid limb bow looks like looks like. A whip tillered bow is bending some some out of the fades(the bow in the picture is not) and a lot more in the outer third.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 08:35:18 pm by Eric Krewson »

Offline adb

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2014, 08:35:08 pm »
Well, Eric, regardless of how many bows you've made, your 'eye' in this case is off. This bow is not 'badly whip tillered.' It's not even a little whip tillered. Did you look at the pic of a whip tillered bow? Do yourself a favour and look at it again and then go back and look at this bow. I'm not sure what you're seeing.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 08:55:54 pm by adb »

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2014, 08:40:36 pm »
Didn't mean for this to get into a P$$$ing match, you all make bows any way you like, call them anything you want.

My bows have won dozens of state championships, 4 or 5 national championships and finished 2nd and 3rd in the worlds this year, I know a little about making bows and how to tiller them. 

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2014, 08:55:43 pm »
I too made the observation that this bow is not whip tillered. I don't believe it is based on my definition of a whip tillered bow. I stand behind that observation, again based on my definition. A little loose in the outer limbs maybe, but even that is debatable. Not taking anything away from your expertise or accomplishments at all. We just disagree on this one.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline adb

« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2014, 08:57:07 pm »
Didn't mean for this to get into a P$$$ing match, you all make bows any way you like, call them anything you want.

My bows have won dozens of state championships, 4 or 5 national championships and finished 2nd and 3rd in the worlds this year, I know a little about making bows and how to tiller them.

Seems to me the only one making this a pi$$ing match is you. What do your self congratulatory accomplishments have to do with the tiller on this bow?

Offline 4dog

« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2014, 10:09:57 pm »
what just happened??  lol  ???
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline adb

« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2014, 10:41:52 pm »
I think what happened was, someone stepped in it and now they're trying to scrape it off their shoe.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2014, 10:57:27 pm »
Tiller is good. It is very slightly whip tillered but that's ok as it is a good design for a bow that is a little longer than neede.
I'd enjoy it as is.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2014, 10:59:38 pm »
Oops. I missed that you started piking. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!