Author Topic: Selfbow FPS?  (Read 27132 times)

Offline Sidewinder

Re: Selfbow FPS?
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2014, 11:12:28 am »
Considering that the chest cavity on a full grown buck only takes a few inches of penetration to get into the vitals I would think that a pass through is less important than making it in the right spot. Also if the broadhead is still in the vitals and is grinding around as he runs its kiling him every step he takes.
 FPS to me is something I can't even worry about. I'm such a novice bowyer that all I can hope for is that it draws smooth, balances well and hits where I'm looking. Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Badger

« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2014, 11:28:03 am »
  I would like to see the challenge 9 gr per pound for a backed bow and 8 grains per pound for a self bow. It might take a while to get 1/2 dozen guys on this list. I know some of Marks could hit it at 9 grains.

Lots of guys on here making bows that I have know are fast bows, many of the same guys claim they don't care how fast the bow is which is fine. The reason they are making the style bows they are making is because some guy proved the effectiveness of these same designs using a chrono.

Offline 4dog

« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2014, 02:03:52 pm »
that and a very good eye!!!   8)   ^^^^^^^
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2014, 02:22:30 pm »
I haven't been around a chrono for a while.  I am curious how fast some of my bows are.  I just am not curious enough to shell out the bucks for a chrono.  I know when I have one shooting like I want it to.  I make mine to hunt with and a bow being accurate, quiet and hard hitting is what I want.  I think there is some kind of formula for calculating fps based on how many yards a bow will shoot.  If anyone has the straight skinny on that I am interested.  Don't know what it means, but I have a couple of hickory bows that will shoot 500 (or a little over) grain arrows over two hundred yards.  One pulls 60 and the other around 55.  Wonder how fast they are really shooting?  I don't see anything wrong with you guys measuring these things and putting a little science to work on them.  Hell, if it wasn't for a bunch of fellows smarter than I am, who have put a lot of thought into bowmaking, there wouldn't be so many great bows getting built.       
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2014, 03:03:50 pm »
I haven't been around a chrono for a while.  I am curious how fast some of my bows are.  I just am not curious enough to shell out the bucks for a chrono.  I know when I have one shooting like I want it to.  I make mine to hunt with and a bow being accurate, quiet and hard hitting is what I want.  I think there is some kind of formula for calculating fps based on how many yards a bow will shoot.  If anyone has the straight skinny on that I am interested.  Don't know what it means, but I have a couple of hickory bows that will shoot 500 (or a little over) grain arrows over two hundred yards.  One pulls 60 and the other around 55.  Wonder how fast they are really shooting?  I don't see anything wrong with you guys measuring these things and putting a little science to work on them.  Hell, if it wasn't for a bunch of fellows smarter than I am, who have put a lot of thought into bowmaking, there wouldn't be so many great bows getting built.       
That sounds a good distance to me for those draw weights and arrow mass. A huge amount depends on the arrow of course.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2014, 03:52:46 pm »
Del, those shots were made with aluminum arrows.  I haven't been able to achieve those results with my homemade arrows.   
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

mikekeswick

« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2014, 06:50:28 pm »
I like making fast bows (or at least trying!) >:D and I love my chrono  >:D 
I noticed the comment earlier about how our ancestors would have starved if bows hadn't been effective....what did we do before bows (and atl-atl's ;))?

Offline PAHunter

• "If your not having fun, what's the point?" - Khan
    • Victory Before Combat (My YouTube Page)
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2014, 08:08:21 pm »
what did we do before bows (and atl-atl's ;))?

Spears, sticks, and if you go back far enough flint rocks to scavenge off of others kills with.  But it's not legal to hunt with spears in my state for some reason.   :( :o
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2014, 08:28:51 pm »
 ;D Probably afraid if they allowed spears that you guys would start running around neckad in the mountains :laugh:
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Badger

« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2014, 08:29:50 pm »
  One of the guys in our group killed a rabbit at 60 yards with an atlatl. Little bit of luck but he is good.

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2014, 09:06:35 pm »
Badger, I'd love to try an atlatl. Got an old 59 KS wallhanger that I've been thinking might make a pretty good speciman.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline PAHunter

• "If your not having fun, what's the point?" - Khan
    • Victory Before Combat (My YouTube Page)
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2014, 09:18:29 pm »
Badger, I'd love to try an atlatl. Got an old 59 KS wallhanger that I've been thinking might make a pretty good speciman.
Billy Burger recently posted an atlatl build along on his YouTube channel, primitivepathways.  Looks like fun!  I plan on giving it a try when I have some time.
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2014, 09:40:40 am »
Del, those shots were made with aluminum arrows.  I haven't been able to achieve those results with my homemade arrows.

I bought a graphite arrow several years ago for testing purposes.  It had a small diameter and weighed about the same as my flight arrows but my arrows would out shoot it for distance even when I fletched it exactly the same as mine.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline smoky#1

• Clayton Porter
« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2014, 10:03:28 am »
Spears, sticks, and if you go back far enough flint rocks to scavenge off of others kills with.  But it's not legal to hunt with spears in my state for some reason.   :( :o
[/quote]
it is now legal to hunt with a spear in Nebraska !
smoky, Bassett NE

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2014, 11:19:48 am »
Keep in mind PAhunter is talking elk, not deer. That said, plenty of elk have been dropped with archery equipment drawing less than 50 lbs and shooting slower than 150 fps.  Like others have pointed out, it is all about shot placement.  I admit, I get hung up on the arrow speed myself, but when I do, it is usually because my mind is thinking about the next 3D shoot or next years Pope & young clout and wand competitions.  When I get thinking clear about hunting, I grab the heavy arrows.  Just flung some freshly fletched douglas fir arrows yesterday evening.  They weigh-in around 780 grns.  Great weight forward due to 190 grn points. Shot out of a 57 lb longbow.  I shot some of my 520 grain arrows (my go to arrows since last fall) before and after shooting the newly made up heavy arrows, and I re-learned why I love heavy arrows....despite the less flat trajectory I was dropping them into the vitals on the foam bear at 35-40 yards, whereas my light arrows were all over the place; over, under, front and back. Fast arrows seem more twitchy to me.  Heavy arrows are more forgiving to my release.  That and the heavy arrows are always much harder to pull from the target.    8) 

I am trained in the sciences too, and I used to put a lot of stock in numbers.  Just keep in mind where the numbers are coming from. 

I strive to make fast bows, but then shoot heavy arrows from them. 

"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso