Author Topic: First bow- White ash  (Read 3331 times)

Offline bloodstone

First bow- White ash
« on: March 11, 2014, 07:47:15 pm »
Hello all, I want to get your opinions on this bow That I made. It is my first bow, its a flat bow made from the straightest thickest ringed whites ash stave. The stave was so massive I'm getting 3 bows out of it. This is the first one, currently the only finished one, the second its at brace but no further.

I fell like my design is a bit weird. Its got a pretty bad propeller twist because of the way the limbs leave the handle, the string sits to the left a bit. I'm not sure how it works but the twist and string offset helps it shoot pretty nicely. Its taken 2 inches of set after a lot of breaking in and working.

I feel that the tiller isn't perfect but the twist makes it hard to tell, what is your opinion.
"If I can't afford to buy it, and its conceivable that I can make it myself, then I will learn the art of what ever craft I must so that I can have it."

"Nothing ventured, nothing gained"

Offline Peacebow_Coos

Re: First bow- White ash
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 07:57:15 pm »
Hey yours shoots for a first bow that's the goal, that and getting the tiller right.  It's hard to see in the pic because it's canted, looks like maybe the right limb is a little stiff out of the fade.  Might be able to get rid of some of that tip weight too what are your final dimensions there?

Offline half eye

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 08:03:44 pm »
Looks pretty good to me, the tiller looks symmetrical. You did not say how long the bow is or the draw length and weight.....the only reason I say that is because your picture of the bow un-braced does not appear to have any excessive set at all.   My first bow should have looked just 1/2 that good. Well done, sir.
rich

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 08:15:06 pm »
The tiller, the finish and the design look great!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 07:07:06 am by Hrothgar »
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline bloodstone

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 08:44:10 pm »
The dimensions are...
The handle is 4 inches long and 1.5 inches deep. Bow total length is 62". Tips are a a bit less than 1". My draw is 26" and its 30lbs at that length. As soon As I can get someone to take some pics I'll get some of it at draw.
"If I can't afford to buy it, and its conceivable that I can make it myself, then I will learn the art of what ever craft I must so that I can have it."

"Nothing ventured, nothing gained"

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 08:51:48 pm »
That's a great first bow, like half eye said the set isn't bad at all.....very nice first.  Shoot the heck out of it and have some fun.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Wiley

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2014, 11:22:59 pm »
As the others have said, the tiller looks symmetrical although a better shot of it taken head on instead of being canted would tell a bit more about it. From what I understand a little bit of twist probably won't hurt a thing. Set happens, and the set you experienced was very small. I think you built quite a successful first bow.

I decided while building my first bow that if it survived to shoot an arrow it would be a successful first bow, quite a learning curve on the first one to overcome. I would be quite happy with this for my first bow.

Offline berzerk64

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2014, 01:32:56 am »
Great work!  My first bow came apart at 19" on the tillering stick, so be proud!

Offline PAHunter

• "If your not having fun, what's the point?" - Khan
    • Victory Before Combat (My YouTube Page)
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2014, 02:01:33 am »
Amazing for a first bow!  Congratulations man!  Go shoot that thing and have fun.  If the limbs twist often on side of the limb is a little thicker than the other.  If you even it out it may correct itself.  Tiller looks great for your first!  Welcome to the addiction!
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2014, 03:54:21 am »
Tiller looks real good for a (not only) first bow!
Frank from Germany...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2014, 05:29:24 am »
Very nice for first or last of many. Congrats. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline dwardo

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2014, 08:45:39 am »
Sterling job on your first bow.  8)

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2014, 08:59:18 am »
Congrats on a fine shooter...
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2014, 10:50:12 am »
Excellent bow with a great tiller. Propellor twists are rarely a problem unless they approac 30 degrees. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2014, 01:24:18 pm »
Nice work on that ash.  Great first bow effort!
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso