Author Topic: Compounds :(  (Read 10610 times)

Offline adb

Re: Compounds :(
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2014, 06:00:22 pm »
If you wanna get wheelie bow shooters interested and coming over to the dark side, probably best to keep the one-liners to yourself. After all, we're all flinging arrows... just different.

I've shot 'em all over the years... compounds, sights, trigger release, FG stick bows, recurves and all the way round to making my own gear. Most wheelie bow shooters are curious, and most aren't rude about your tackle. If I do get a cocky compound shooter making a smart arsed comment, I usually tell him/her that someday they'll give up their training wheels... the standard come back. Most are curious... but afraid. Nothing like a well placed arrow to say all you need to say.

Offline kleinpm

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2014, 06:42:53 pm »
I don't encounter many hunters when I am out, but every encounter I have had has been positive. Sometimes its a little annoying politely answering a thousand questions when I just want to get on my way. FG bows are becoming more popular around here but most hunters have never seen a self bow or sinew back bow and are naturally curious.

The most common comment I hear is "I am going to switch to traditional after I have killed an elk with my compound".

I picked up a hunting magazine in the store the other day that was full of crossbow articles. I was just skimming but I noticed one of the articles was referring to compounds as "more traditional" archery hunting.

Patrick

Offline dmenzies1950

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2014, 07:14:45 pm »
The Late Jay Massey called them," projectile launching devices".                   Dale
"His bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One, the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel." Genesis 49:24

Offline Wiley

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2014, 07:37:58 pm »
I like guns and bows. I will continue to shoot both.

But now that I have made my own bow with my own two hands. I probably won't ever buy a compound bow. I hope to have myself a hunting weight wood bow and enough practice by archery season to feel ethical about hunting with it. If i'm not, I plan to hunt with a rifle. A rifle is familiar, and I know I can harvest deer with it. My tune may change when I make meat with a bow I made.

Instead of making fun of "modern" shooters, why not try to convert them to something more traditional and primitive? Most of them probably just aren't yet aware of how much they would love it.

Offline Ink

• Jason Chollett
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2014, 07:51:12 pm »
I use a few lines on them jokingly. But i have a lot of Compound shooter friends, who i am currently corrupting. I even had a bow building class a few saturdays ago and had 5 compound shooters in it making there own longbows. My favorite line to make them understand my point of view is " we can't all be snipers, someones gotta carry the machine gun". We're all bowhunters even if they lean more to the side of science.
I also proved a good point to them on saturday when there was a fun shoot with a pig target swinging on a pendulum and you had 10 seconds to score a 10 point shot. Before the other guys could even draw i had scored a 12 ( it was only at 10 yards) and was the first one to move onto the next round at 20 yards. That made a few of them think a little. Course once we moved back to 20 yards i had significantly more trouble (timing issues). Either way we ALL were having fun, and no one doubted the lethality of my chosen weapon at its respective range. My point being is, it would be easier to make friends with them and then prove your point. Than to spout off a smart a#$ remark and reaffirm there distaste for us trad shooters.
Chew Motrin, drink water, drive on

Offline Ink

• Jason Chollett
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2014, 07:54:54 pm »

Instead of making fun of "modern" shooters, why not try to convert them to something more traditional and primitive? Most of them probably just aren't yet aware of how much they would love it.

+1
Chew Motrin, drink water, drive on

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2014, 10:31:37 pm »

+1

Yeah my one liners don't go to total strangers, that wouldn't be right.
Only to the boys i grew up with :D
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2014, 10:50:55 pm »
I go hunting with my best friend who I gave a compound I shot a dozen times and didnt like. He has shot a few of my bows (broke one too!) and was more inclined to use the compound. I gave it to hom for his borthday and two hours later he was kneeling by his first ever bow kill. I think everyone likes different things and I have no problem respecting their choice as long as mine is equally respected. we pick on one another about these things and my usual point of "attack" is that I can go through any terrain without making a clinking, metallic/non organic noise that rings out through the woods! he poits out that he has sites... I think I win! :laugh:
John, 40-65# @ 28" Central New York state. Never enough bows, never enough arrows!

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2014, 12:56:45 am »
Once in a while we will razz one another a bit...but....  Bottom line is...I like shooting with friends and family.  Some of my friends and family shoot compounds.  I think no less of them because of the tool they choose to hunt with. 
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2014, 01:06:07 am »
In a club where it was me, a fiberglass shooter, and ten+ compound shooters, I didn't give the one-liners. It started with one guy wanting to try the molle I had that day, then another, and soon all but one sourpuss had proven that nobody but the fiberglass guy was a good shot ;)

The sourpuss brought up how it's completely impractical for hunting, and I didn't have to say anything in defense as the others brought up how our ancestors hunted, how an arrow flying at lethal velocity is going to kill as long as it's placed properly, and even that it would be a greater show of skill to take an animal with my stick and string than with their own compounds.

We all shook hands and I intend to shoot there again, though I have no idea if that was a regular crowd. The compounders all seemed to be buds there together, and the fiberglasser and I were just there.
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2014, 01:24:43 am »
Two of my good hunting partners shoot compounds and I can’t see them ever giving them up for a traditional bow. They are so darn accurate with those things and shots on elk are so far and few between that for them, it would be like starting over again. It’s not going to happen.

The club that I belong to is 95% compound shooters. They are generally polite when they see me with my primitive tackle, but most are seriously committed to hunting with modern weapons and show little interest in my gear. 
Gordon

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2014, 05:11:24 am »
Wow, I wish I could shoot at well as a compounder at 30 yards! Those coffe cup lid groupings make me jealous.

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2014, 07:20:43 am »
As he steps up to the line beside you... "Hey, try not to scratch my bow with all that stuff."
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2014, 08:51:37 am »
 Most times I just smile and move on,occasionally will ask,if I know them well,is that  thing got electric start on it I see the kick stand. ;) ;D I love it when they ask,Man can you really hunt with that stuff. ;) :) :) Mostly they are nice and seem interested but you will see most next year and they still shooting wheels. ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2014, 10:18:57 am »
All the wheelie boys I encounter are very polite and interested in my equipment, I treat them with the same respect. I do slide in one bit of food for thought though when I tell them I shoot bows I make because I am cheap and only have about a buck fifty in the bow(for string material and finish) and almost nothing in my arrows but the cost of nocks and points because I traded wild turkey feathers for the shafts.

The above "food for thought" really sparks their interest but so far I only know one guy who has put down his wheels and made his own bow.