Author Topic: Compounds :(  (Read 10608 times)

Offline BrokenArrow

Compounds :(
« on: March 10, 2014, 03:48:37 pm »
I like to go to the indoor shooting ranges to test my new bows I have built. I can shoot 3 arrows in the time it takes the compound shooter to even aim their first shot.
I look at those futuristic things with sights, stabilizers, triggers etc and think why not just get a gun and go to a gunpowder shooting range??
What are the best one liners any of you have used to address this kind of pretend archer??

Offline Joec123able

Re: Compounds :(
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 03:59:35 pm »
It's funny isn't it a lot of compound shooters I've met tell me there bows are real "bows" compared to mine I just say ok sure and laugh alittle lol I don't like to argue But when it takes you longer to nock your arrow then it does to load up a muzzle loader somethings not right lol
I like osage

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 04:19:17 pm »
I don't say much, they can out shoot me and most of us at 10 yards and 50. To each their own.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline tallpine

• East Texas
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 04:33:33 pm »
 I have never had anything but positive comments from the wheeley guys most are envious and wish the could shoot one. Its all good shoot what you like.   

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 04:34:15 pm »
"Where's the cup holder?"
"How many RPM's that baby running?"
"I remember when I used training wheels"
"What's with the fishin rod?"

There's a few I like to spout off jokingly of course:)

To each their own.

:D
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 04:34:45 pm »
The best one liner is a well-placed arrow that hits the target with authority.   :)

I have had positive interactions at the indoor range with compound shooters.  Just last week, a guy that I have seen shooting there 4 or 5 times, suddenly asked, "did you make that bow?"  I said, yeah I did, out of osage.  Wanna shoot it?  He stepped right up and I handed him the bow.  I had to coach him on his grip, as he was trying to straight wrist a bulbous handle.  Once he got that, the arrow fell of the nock, but he picked it up with no shame and nocked it again, started to draw, then turned to his buddies and said it pulls a lot harder than you would think.  He got it to about 3/4" draw and sent the arrow down range at a snails pace to hit 2' feet low....but then he turned and grinned like a kid who just shot a bow for the first time.   :) He was pretty interested and all of a sudden my best buddy.

The reason compound hunters dont just pick up a rifle, is because the compound gives them access to archery seasons which are generally longer seasons.  Also they are before rifle season, so you get first crack at the animals.  The increased number of bow-hunters is really starting to hurt archery hunting here in Oregon.   
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 04:35:06 pm »
Nice twig....
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 04:38:57 pm »
The increased number of bow-hunters is really starting to hurt archery hunting here in Oregon.

Not trying to get off topic but you are right!
I took weylin and his dad to my old elk hunting spot where only a couple guys I knew hunted.
Sure enough it was crawling with wheels and over-callers.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Olanigw (Pekane)

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2014, 04:51:00 pm »
The last wheelie guy I practiced with was Joe Wilkin. He's competing at the international level.
I'd razz him for missing X's in good fun, but didn't joke about his training wheels. Much
"Good enough" is the enemy of great
PN501018

Offline Wooden Spring

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2014, 04:51:28 pm »
"Do the training wheels come off when you learn how to shoot?"

I made a store clerk REALLY mad with that one when I was in a Bass Pro Shop looking for a shooting tab...
"Everything that moves shall be food for you..." Genesis 9:3

Offline bubby

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2014, 04:51:42 pm »
heck not everyone drives the same truck, or likes the same food, I get nothing but positive comments on my bows from the modern shooters, bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline warpath

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2014, 05:11:37 pm »
I usually get alot of compliments when I bring My osage selfbow to the range. Backed it with prairie rattler, gave is a beaver tail handle and beaver string silencers. Then I usually shoot as well as they do at 30 yards. But then again, they're using machines, not bows.  >:D

G

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2014, 05:14:43 pm »
I'm going to my first wheelie 3d shoot this weekend with my selfbows.  If anybody gives me a hard time I'll tell them a real man can kill a deer with a stick, string, and a pointy rock  ;D   I doubt I will get any negative comments.  I have only got positive remarks about my bows and gear.  Most people are fascinated by it.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bow101

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2014, 05:36:37 pm »
My teachers in school use to have an old saying,  Its not how cool your tool is, but wheather the guy knows how to use it...! :P
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2014, 05:49:41 pm »
I don't say anything either...I remember when I was, and still have a lot of friends and family who shoot compounds. Haven't shot one in years though ;)
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;