Author Topic: My Hunter  (Read 9302 times)

Offline Kegan

My Hunter
« on: December 24, 2007, 06:57:29 pm »
I finally did it- I've found the bow design that works perfectly for me ;D! I just finished up this bow, The Hunter.

Specs: Hickory with light walnut stain, 70" overall, about 80# at 27". Elliptical tiller D bow with top-grain leather handle build up. Red Boleta (sp?) tip overlays. It has about a 5" brace height from the handle (why I made an arm gaurd for it), but about 6" from the actual bow- but the lower brace height seems to help the performance dramatically. I finished it off with several coats of floor wax. It has 1 1/2" of string follow at rest, about 2" after shooting.

This is by far my best hunting bow I've made. Very stable, smooth, and with excellent cast. I can shoot a VERY heavy hickory arrow over 30 yards with minimal elevation and put a blunt trhough a board accurately- something I've only dreamed of before. Close up it shoots average, but it really shines at distance shooting (over 20 yards). It seems to make a little noise every once in a while, but I may make some sort of silencer for the string to quiet it up. I'll have to build up both my muscles and my fingers to shoot this bow as properly as necessary, but squirrel season opens up after Christmas, so I should get some good practice there >:D.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: My Hunter
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2007, 07:05:47 pm »
That is one long bow. Tiller looks great.  You slowed down a little, only 1 bow so far this week.  ;D Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2007, 07:07:15 pm »
That may be you sharpest one yet and the tiller looks great!  Now go kill something with it so you can try that new knife out. ;D
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2007, 07:09:21 pm »
  Kegan, 80#,you must be trying out for the Warbow Olympics. :o Tiller looks great.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Kegan

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2007, 07:23:46 pm »
Thanks everyone ;D!

Justin- I spent two weeks tillering it, tryoing not to overstress it. Only managed to get an hour a day after school. Busy, busy :).

Sawfiler- I think I might have to. I keep looking at your knife while I was fletching the arrows. I saw two deer this morning, and your knife was on my belt- I think it might be magic ;D!

Mullet- Thanks :). And it sure feels like that after an hour of shooting :-X!

Offline DanaM

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2007, 07:24:59 pm »
80# for tree rats must be some big ones down yer way ;D Nice bow and tiller kegan.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2007, 09:13:30 pm »
Very nice, your improvement is excellent!

Just a sugestion, you might want to make your arrows a little longer. Not that it matters, if you can shoot them well, more power to you.
     Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2007, 10:48:00 pm »
Fine lookin bow! eighty pounder - aught to do the job on whatever ya hit with it :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2007, 11:19:32 pm »
....................Very nice indeed Keegan. Damm #80 lbs. Ya sure gonna kill somethin' ifn ya hit it. ;D....bob

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2007, 12:52:52 pm »
Dana, I was thinking the same thing...lol If you miss one with that thing the shock wave that passes the little guy will knock him out. Great job Keegan, what are they feeding you, pulling that heavy weight like you do, spinach? Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline stiknstring

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2007, 01:38:15 pm »
What 80 pounds is all you can pull GIRLY MAN....

Nice tiller...hope you get something. I am afraid that at that weight if you DO miss that arrow won't stop until it gets to my horse pasture here in Montana

Offline mamba

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2007, 02:06:32 pm »
Nice job Kegan,@80# I THINK blunts will work on Squirells (LOL).
Ray/NY

Offline carpenter374

« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2007, 03:07:12 pm »
Nice bow, man. good time of year to call coyotes if you get tired of the "tree rats".
"Those who would sacrifice their freedom for safety will find that they will inherit neither." -Ben Franklin     

--Carpenter

Offline Kegan

« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2007, 06:26:42 pm »
Thanks eveyrone ;D! I got to test it today with an ACTUAL scale, not our weird digital bathroom scale (takes about a minute to read) and it showed 83# at 27". I like shooting the heavier bows because it lets me use heavier arrows- and me likey heavy arrows >:D! It really likes distance shots, and does pretty well close up too. Gotta get practising though, tree rats don't seem to hold still very long ;). Deer are in season at the same time too, and we all know you see a hundred deer with nothing but blunts in your quiver. Maybe I can sneak a broadhead past >:D?

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2007, 11:55:46 pm »
Nice bow Kegan, those broadheads look familiar, is that from the bandsaw blade stock I sent you?
VB