Author Topic: one more post today:-) a source of wood you may be interested in.  (Read 2771 times)

Offline carpenter374

I work for a general contractor. we build metal buildings sometimes. the building materials come shipped to us with dunnage wood that is various types of oak. it is usually very wet wood. i haven't tried a bow from it yet but it seems like good enough wood as far as oak goes. i have two billets and one piece 6' long drying in my garage. most contractors throw this stuff away so if you check jobsites they will likely give this stuff to you. i'll let know how a bow turns out from it.
"Those who would sacrifice their freedom for safety will find that they will inherit neither." -Ben Franklin     

--Carpenter

Offline tom sawyer

Re: one more post today:-) a source of wood you may be interested in.
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2007, 07:30:15 pm »
I've seen some fairly exotic woods used in pallets and such.  Have scavenged some decent stuff for various projects, it was mostly too short for bow wood what with the nail holes.  I jast saw some nice oak 4x4's that some equipment was shipped on, plan on getting some of that.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline carpenter374

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2007, 03:42:08 pm »
these usually don't have nail holes in them, although some do have a dado cut in one side for the banding to secure in. some do not. they are usually anywhere from 5/4 thick to 9/4. most of the pallets we get are either fir or ramin. some have been a really rough grained wood i don't recognize. has a similar color to pecan. 
"Those who would sacrifice their freedom for safety will find that they will inherit neither." -Ben Franklin     

--Carpenter

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2007, 07:17:20 pm »
I got a bunch of epay about 3'X1.25"X.5" from minuteman lasst year that was stickers between layers of epay decking. It is pretty good wood. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah