Author Topic: My new hog gun  (Read 8158 times)

Offline H Rhodes

My new hog gun
« on: March 08, 2014, 10:19:49 am »
I must admit that I have been distracted from my archery endeavors lately.  I do a bit of canoeing in flooded timber and swampy areas that give me lots of opportunities to shoot hogs.  I thought a lot about the perfect firearm for this sort of thing.  The shots are usually under 50 yards and shoulder fired arms just seemed to be real unhandy in my little solo canoe.  I finally decided on this Ruger 45 convertible with the 5 1/2 barrel.  It is convertible in the sense that it comes with two cylinders - one in .45 ACP and one in .45 Colt.  So far, I have nothing but good things to say about this revolver.  Right out of the box, with cheap reload .45 ACP ball ammo it grouped real nice at 25 yards.  The groups shot in the photo are not shot from a bench rest, but just leaned up against a fence post for a barricade.  Hot handloads in the .45 Colt (what some folks call a "long Colt") will rival .44 magnum ballistics.  It ought to kill anything in my neck of the woods!  I ordered some rosewood grips for it and a fine sourdough pancake simply rugged holster which actually makes the big handgun comfortable to carry.  I wanted a Ruger Blackhawk for years and finally got me one!  I am real happy with it.  I know this sight is about primitive archery, but I had to brag on this a little bit.   :)   I will be making shavings again soon.  Here's a couple pics. 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Re: My new hog gun
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 10:32:03 am »
Very nice.  I had one of those but in .44 mag.  Decent groups at 50 yrds
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 10:35:56 am »
Nice gun!
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 10:37:49 am »
I considered going with a bit bigger revolver, and thought about the big scoped Redhawk, but I wanted to stay with something that wouldn't pull my britches down, and that I could actually wear with comfort.  There are definately handguns that are more effective at longer ranges, but after wearing this one while paddling the other day, I am tickled with it so far.  After I put a hog or two down with it I will know more about it. 

Thanks O.O.!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 10:44:33 am by hrhodes »
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Mohawk13

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2014, 11:43:20 am »
Nice Piece. Have one also. My go to pistol when I am in bear country. Hot .45 Colt will take down anything short of a Mammoth...
He That Raises the sword against us, Shall be cleaved upon seven fold-Talmud.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2014, 11:59:45 am »
Heck yeah!  a 260 grain bullet at 1400fps hollers "STOP!" real loud. :D
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 12:04:13 pm by hrhodes »
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline jeffhalfrack

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2014, 02:52:23 pm »
I  have a black hawk in .45lc I have taken deer and hogs I just love  it and you will to,,,btw  you can feed that some real hot .45lc loads and not ever worry about being under powerd  good luck JeffW

Offline Mohawk13

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2014, 03:00:58 pm »
Agreed. PMC used to make a really hot round in .45LC...Hornady has about the best I have found at present, with Buffalo Bore coming in real close second..
He That Raises the sword against us, Shall be cleaved upon seven fold-Talmud.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2014, 03:39:18 pm »
Thanks for the advice fellows.  I have gotten some good groups with the Buffalo Bore ammo.  It seems like it will do for anything I am likely to encounter.  When you look at some hot loads that come with instructions that say "For Ruger Revolvers Only"  it inspires confidence in the manufacturer.   The price of the 45 Colt ammo is going to move me to start reloading it.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Don Case

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2014, 04:01:39 pm »
Just out of curiosity how much would a gun like that weigh. Here in Canada the laws are so restrictive that it's pointless to own one.
Don

Offline stickbender

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2014, 04:26:58 pm »
     Excellent choice, and as the others have said, it can be safely loaded pretty hot, with large chunks of lead.  I would use straight wheel weights, for bear.  I love the .44 special, the .44 magnum, and the .45lc.  It was called the .45 Long Colt, to differentiate between the .45 ACP, and the .45 Colt.  I believe the first Thompsons were in .45 colt. (LC).  Also the rate of fire was faster, at first.  But the.45 LC will do the job as is, or pumped up a bit.  Elmer Kieth, did a bit of shooting research on the .45LC, where at a long distance, I forgot now just how far, but it was a long ways for a pistol, and he was shooting at an old out house with inch thick oak boards, and the .45LC was punching neat holes through it.  So it has some respectable thump as is.  You could also get a Marlin .45-70, carbine, for your canoe, with a nice sling.  It is light, and will put down anything in North America.  But it do tend to kick a mite.  Especially with 405 grain bullets.  Haven't tried the 500 grain ones yet.  I mainly use 305 grain bullets in it.  But it also can be pumped up a bit, coming very close to .458 Win. Mag.  The Marlin will hold it.  Just get a good reloading manual, and re loader.  You don't need to go fancy, with multi round rigs, a simple single bullet at a time rig will do you just fine.  I have a multi round rig, and a single rig.  When I was shooting a lot, when it was cheaper to do so, I used the multi round rig.  I love my Lee, and Dillon makes a fine outfit also, as does many others.  Just get a strong unit, and it will last you a life time.  Get a good case vibrator, and case / medium separator.  Dillon makes a good one.  Get a good scale, and funnel.  You can make a case block out of a piece of scrap 3/4 inch pine, to place your cases in while you are decapping, priming, and loading.  Just be sure to check  your powder loads,every so often, if you are using a multi round loader.  If you are using a single round loader, you are hand measuring each powder amount.  If you are using the multi loader, you have a powder measure, that automatically dumps a measured amount of powder into the primed case, but it is a good idea to monitor it now and then.  Enjoy, that is a fine one!

Wayne
As expensive as even reloading has become, it is still much cheaper to reload, than buy factory ammo. 
                                                                                Wayne

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2014, 05:04:52 pm »
Don, it weighs about 40 ounces unloaded, so it is about as hefty a pistol as one would be comfortable with carrying all day on a belt holster.  That said, this holster that I bought really does a good job in supporting the weapon and keeping it close to the body and concealable.  Simply Rugged makes a good holster.  What are the rules for carrying a handgun there?  You guys have those big ass white bears up there right? :D  I guess a pistol would only make them mad huh?  I would still rather have one on my hip than chuncking rocks.  Seems like the law ought to take into account a man's need to protect himself. 

Wayne I appreciate the tips on reloading.  I have a buddy of mine that is a real gun guru that is going to help me along.  I thought about the Marlin, and I looked at lots of variables.  For me, it was just unhandy to put the paddle down, reach for and shoulder the long gun.  I'm going to give the handgun a try for a while.  I will give y'all an update when I get to put it to use.       

« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 07:44:28 pm by hrhodes »
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2014, 05:06:51 pm »
I reload for all my flintlocks, never buy store-bought ammo!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2014, 05:21:38 pm »
I hear you JW.  I have never fooled around with muzzleloaders too much.  If I take up one more hobby the wife and MINISTER OF FINANCE at the Rhodes place might kick me to the curb.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2014, 05:29:53 pm »
Let us all hope and pray that our significant others NEVER get mad and sell our guns for what we told'em we paid for 'em!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.