Author Topic: Brush Nocks - A Tutorial - FINISHED!  (Read 21917 times)

Offline Peacebow_Coos

Re: Brush Nocks - A Tutorial
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2014, 03:42:39 pm »
awesome build along thank you

Offline 4est Trekker

« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2014, 07:14:00 pm »
I will post the final round of pictures in the next day or two. Thanks for the kind words, all.  Hope you get some use out of this tutorial.  :)
"Walk softly, and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline 4est Trekker

« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2014, 06:35:01 pm »
Step 15: Profiling Tip Overlays and Underlays
I use a disc sander to create a flat, angled pad on the tips that I glue an overlay to.  Angling the pad keeps the transition smooth and the bulk down.  In this case I'm using some stabilized flamed maple for the overlays.  I also further profile the brush nock underlays, especially out toward the tips.

Step 16: Final Shaping and Sanding
Here they are all dressed up for the prom!  I use a Dremel tool, round files, sandpaper, a pocket knife (as a scraper), a carbide cutting rod on a hacksaw (makes cutting in the initial string grooves a breeze) and patience to do all of the final shaping.  They really don't take that long to shape since each previous step is designed to chip away at them incrementally, preventing excess work on the following step.

I don't have any pictures of the bow strung yet, as I need to tweak the tiller on the long string again before getting it to brace height.  As such, I'll post a separate thread when the bow is finished with some close-ups of the brush nocks "in action".  I hope you've enjoyed this little tutorial and that it can be of some help to you.   
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 06:39:31 pm by 4est Trekker »

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline IdahoMatt

Re: Brush Nocks - A Tutorial - FINISHED!
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2014, 06:39:07 pm »
Wow very tidy work there.  I can't wait to see the completed bow.  Great follow along.

Offline Scottski

« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2014, 06:40:52 pm »
Cool. Think I might try some one day. Thanks for sharing this with us.
Did the Native Americans think about all this that much or just do it?

Offline zenart

« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2014, 01:01:02 am »
Superb craftsmanship & excellent tute. Thanks for sharing. 

I'm new but I've learned this much- can't learn unless ya ask so can someone explain (other than obvious eye candy) what the advantages (disadvantages, if any) there are with this style nock?  Thanks! Ron
Huntington Beach, CA … there's no trees here but we do have lumber yards.

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2014, 03:10:18 am »
Rock on ....thanks!!!!!
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Wiley

« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2014, 04:32:31 am »
This style of nock looks pretty awesome, this was a great tutorial and it may be something I try eventually and will keep it saved for future reference.

But I will 2nd zenart's question, what is the benefit to this style of nock other than looking really cool? I imagine by their name it has something to do with hunting in thick brush areas. Something that is very relevant to our terrain around here, walking though the woods is walking through considerable brush once you leave a trail.

Does it increase hand shock or lower the bow's potential speed? The generally train of thought seems to be lighter mass tips makes a faster bow with less handshock. But I guess with nearly every aspect of bow design there is give and take. My first question might answer my 2nd in that if the benefit of a bit less speed and a bit more handshock is worth the benefit that they provide. Either way they look sweet.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2014, 08:42:29 am »
Incredible, absolutely incredible.   Well done with the tutorial as well.

mikekeswick

« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2014, 10:27:41 am »
Cool tutorial  :)
Wiley - they are designed so that little twigs, leaves etc don't get caught between the string and the limb. On a normal nock recurve or otherwise the string and the limb form a wedge shape.....into which ever little thing has a habit of finding its way! Oh and its always the lower nock...which is behind you so you have to stop,reverse and then 'unhook' yourself....this can get annoying  ;)
Use nocks like this and you eliminate the wedge.

Offline 4est Trekker

« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2014, 10:30:17 am »
Yes, they do serve a purpose.  They're desinged to keep brush from snagging between the string and belly of the limb on recurve bows.  This is not only annoying, but can really wreck/twist/break a recurve if you're not careful.  As far as hand shock goes, it's a bit counterintuitive.  If you have working recurves or a very short recurved/flipped tip, then yes, this style of nock tends to add a bit of shock.  However, if you've got a pronounced static recurve, then no, I've found I get no hand shock (assuming the limbs are tillered/timed properly!).  Brush nocks tend to exaggerate any tiller/timing inaccuracies.

The above reasoning works on the much the same principle as a horsebow.  Logic would suggest that those long levers (siyahs) would jar your teeth.  However, for a number of reasons, horsebows are amonst the smoothest drawing and shooting bows.

Offline Wiley

« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2014, 11:03:23 am »
Good to know. I'll chalk brush nocks up on my "to-try" list for future bows. In a 2-3 weeks time the woods here are going to turn into almost a solid wall of green, and I can definitely imagine how a recurve would like to hang up on so much trying to get anywhere off a substantial trail.

Offline zenart

« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2014, 01:22:45 am »
Thanks 4est & mikekeswick for comment on the function.. didn't see it at first but now pretty obvious in the name: "brush" nocks.

So, these have to be a modern treatment .. or do they?  Primitives certainly thrashed in the bushes. Anyone know of any that maybe strapped little brush guards on tips? maybe using hide glue n sinew or somethin' ?
Huntington Beach, CA … there's no trees here but we do have lumber yards.

Offline John D

« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2014, 12:56:46 pm »
Hope you get some use out of this tutorial.  :)

4est, You have an overactive sense of humility!  This is fantastic and you've done us all a service.  Thank you,

John D.

Boise

Offline PatM

« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2014, 01:18:57 pm »
Thanks 4est & mikekeswick for comment on the function.. didn't see it at first but now pretty obvious in the name: "brush" nocks.

So, these have to be a modern treatment .. or do they?  Primitives certainly thrashed in the bushes. Anyone know of any that maybe strapped little brush guards on tips? maybe using hide glue n sinew or somethin' ?
Not too many primitive people used recurves with curves to the degree that became popular later.
 The concept of brush nocks  seems to be the innovation of Nels Grumley in the 30s and you can see the two main types he developed for Bear Archery in many online pictures.