Author Topic: brand new here.  (Read 3594 times)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: brand new here.
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2014, 11:22:42 pm »
Thanks, Pat. Welcome to PA, T Bone. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline DuBois

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2014, 11:33:40 pm »
Welcome T bone,
You found the right place to get the inside scoop on wood for sure.
I have had some luck calling the local wildlife preserve officer and asking to get a day permit to cut a few staves. He was interested in what I was doing and even directed me to some black locust, which is considered an invasive species here, as is buckthorn.
Good luck and I'll be looking forward to seeing your progress.
Marco

Offline PAHunter

• "If your not having fun, what's the point?" - Khan
    • Victory Before Combat (My YouTube Page)
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2014, 12:59:12 am »
That's right by me man.  I live in Wexford.  When I cut trees down I usually quarter or 1/2 then depending on size and put shalack on the ends.  Then I let them sit for as long as I can patiently wait, at least a few months up to a few years.  If you take the bark off when harvesting shalack the back also.  After a few months you can rough out a non bending bow and let it dry in that state with some more shalack on it.  Wood takes time to dry and I'm no expert but that gives you some idea.  I'd suggest using a design that extends the same width from the fades to at least 1/2 way and go a good 68'' or a little more if you have long arms/drawl length (DL).  That will be the safest for your first.  Find Gary Davis's DVD online and it will teach you all you need to know.  Good luck brother!
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2014, 01:37:21 am »
Welcome.  Can't wait to see what you start making :)

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2014, 11:50:25 am »
Welcome to the addiction. All here have given good advise. I would talk to the Wildlife managers in your area and get permission to cut a little. Also while I was waiting for the harvested staves to cure I would get me some hickory boards and try a couple pyramids. Just do a search on here and you will find some good info.  Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

blackhawk

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2014, 01:16:52 pm »
Go hit up your local game lands...ya have two nearby....numbers 56 and 157....and go whack a sapling or two down ;) ya should have hickories,oaks,hard maple,elms,hophornbeam, n plus a few others around...don't be too specific species oriented of the ones I listed...just look for any of those that are clean,free of knots n limbs,n most importantly straight grained....if the stature looks straight but the bark twists up the tree like a candy cane(extreme example) then leave it alone...the bark will tell ya most times if its clean n straight wood underneath....go harvest a few saplings and reduce em down to near bow dimension n seal em up good,n while there drying for a month or two learn how to choose proper grain in lumber n go pick up some (in order of preference) hickory,maple,white oak,or red oak lumber n cut your bowmaking  teef on em

Welcome to pa fellow pennsyltuckian ;) go steelers!!!! Sorry your so close to philthydelphia  >:D all the better bowyers in this state that hang out on any of the forums are over here in western pa  :P...n that's a fact ;)

Offline burn em up chuck

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2014, 11:49:25 am »
  welcome and do venture to the Tennessee classic,

chuck
Honored to say I'm a Member of the

Twin Oaks Bowhunters club

Offline Parnell

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2014, 12:17:21 pm »
I thought I posted here yesterday but I must not have hit "post".  I lived in Yardley back in the 80's when I was a boy growing up.  I imagine things are probably a lot more built up.  Sounds like you've been given some good advice with seeing if you can cut invasive species, like buckthorn.  Just stay on it, you'll be surprised how things can accumulate.

Good luck and welcome to PA!
1’—>1’