Author Topic: brand new here.  (Read 3593 times)

Offline T Bone

brand new here.
« on: March 05, 2014, 03:30:28 pm »
Hello everyone, my name is Ryan. I live in southeastern Pennsylvania. I have been in wood working for about 10 yearsand I have recently decided to try my hand at this. Do you have any suggestions for what would be a good material and design for a beginner to start off with? I'm having trouble finding any kind of wood locally, I would rather not have to buy by mail, any thoughts that might help me along? Thank you all.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: brand new here.
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 03:37:38 pm »
Welcome to PA, T Bone. There is lots of good info here for the taking. Check out George Tsoukalas'(Jawge) website posted at the top of the How To page. George explains everything you'll need to get started.
 Read all you can here on PA and ask lots of questions.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 03:52:29 pm »
A nice straight and clean 4' hickory sapling would be a good candidate for a first selfbow if you have any locally you could cut. Like Pat said lots of info here to get ya going, just do a search on splitting, drying and roughing out the shape for starters. Post pictures through the whole process and you'll help and good advice.
Glad to have you onboard T Bone, jump in and lets get ya started. :)
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline PAHunter

• "If your not having fun, what's the point?" - Khan
    • Victory Before Combat (My YouTube Page)
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 04:06:10 pm »
Search for the Tennessee Classic thread and come down in May.  You'll learn all you need to get started and go home with your first self bow.  ;)  You can start with a red oak board form lowes or home depo or a hickory stave from a lumber yard.  IF you have access to woods by all means go cut down a small hickory or osage orange (monkey ball) tree and your all set to get your hands dirty.  Check you Boarriorbows board build along on YouTube and the plethera of advice on this site.  Welcome to the addiction, I mean hobby!   ;D
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

Offline T Bone

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 04:08:06 pm »
Thank you guys. I am reading about splitting and drying staves but I am not sure how to find a place to legally cut anything. I've read about roughing out blanks while the wood is green but how do you not get splits and checks by doing so? In the mean time, I need to find something already dried I guess...

Offline arachnid

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 05:10:55 pm »
Hi Ryan.
I made a pyramid bow not long ago that turned out really well. I used these plans:
http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=125;t=002064;p=1

Good luck

Dor

Offline bubby

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2014, 05:38:25 pm »
both of these will help http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,35312.0.html  http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/

you need a gizmo as well http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=125;t=001047

have a blast and don't get discouraged, s%#&t happens and sometimes wood breaks  ;)
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2014, 05:41:28 pm »
Welcome Sir!  Good luck getting started and looking forward to seeing your work.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline adb

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2014, 07:04:56 pm »
Welcome aboard!
Get your hands on the Trad Bowyers Bibles, Vols 1-4 and curl up in front of a warm fire and read, read, read! Then go make some sawdust.

Offline HickoryBill

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2014, 07:15:23 pm »
Where ya from her in PA T Bone?
"He who hesitates usually misses"
"All you really need to make a bow and arrow are some sticks and a deer carcass"
Bill Stockdill
Clarion County Pennsylvania

Offline Will H

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2014, 08:10:41 pm »
Welcome to PA!
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2014, 08:18:18 pm »
Welcome aboard! 
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline Ink

• Jason Chollett
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2014, 08:28:30 pm »
Welcome to the Forums T Bone. a good starter bow is a pyramid bow out of a lumber stave. Kinda cookie cutter but it will get you hooked. Red oak boards are fairly common in hardware stores nation wide. Check out Jawges post in the how to's like pat b said, it will help to get you started.
Chew Motrin, drink water, drive on

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2014, 09:27:12 pm »
Welcome  8)
I like osage

Offline T Bone

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2014, 11:17:17 pm »
Thank you all, I appreciate the help. Bill, I currently live in Bucks Co., have so for years. Right near the Delaware. Isn't Clarion county out near altoona? Rob, I went to Ingomar elementary school, and McKnight. I sure do miss western PA! I'm thinking I'll try the pyramid to start off. Still need to find out about working green wood.