Author Topic: Rawhide fix / Finished product with Pics  (Read 5950 times)

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
Re: Rawhide or Sinew fix? (Save the Osage!)
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2014, 10:56:30 am »
I have an osage stave I am working on that had some pin knots show up going from the back to the belly. There are just a couple, but are in the bending part of the limb. I planned on rawhide backing the bow, but what do I need to do about the belly? She is just roughed down and not even floor tillered, yet. This is going to be a gift for my son and want to be reasonably sure it will hold up.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline adb

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2014, 11:02:33 am »
Next time, leave those knots a bit proud on the back. That being said, no point in not trying to save this bow. You've injected some CA glue... that's good. If that bow was mine, I'd back it with rawhide. The cracks are in the knots. Knots are stiff and don't bend, and the cracks don't go all the way across the back. If they did, it's toast. Back it, shoot it, keep it... carry on.

Offline kleinpm

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2014, 01:11:34 pm »
I have an osage stave I am working on that had some pin knots show up going from the back to the belly. There are just a couple, but are in the bending part of the limb. I planned on rawhide backing the bow, but what do I need to do about the belly? She is just roughed down and not even floor tillered, yet. This is going to be a gift for my son and want to be reasonably sure it will hold up.

How bad are the pin knots? Some pin knots clusters are fairly large, I treat those like a regular knot and leave it a little stiff in that area. Most pin knots that go through the stave have not been an issue for me on the back or belly. 
I just popped a splinter on a CLEAN piece of osage (first time for that!) so you never know what is going to happen.

Patrick

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2014, 01:45:06 pm »
I don't want to take over this thread, so when I get some time to take some pics, I will start a new thread. Thanks!
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Lefty8917

Re: Rawhide fix / Finished product with Pics
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2014, 08:13:15 pm »
Here is the finished product from an almost disaster. The bow is 62" and about 53#@26". It has almost 1 1/4" reflex. The back is backed with rawhide and the tip overlays are deer antler. This was my first time using any type of bone or horn for overlays and im extremely satisfied with the results! This bow was a huge learning experience for me. I came across multiple roadblocks with this piece of osage and it turned out to be one of my nicest bows.

Im giving this bow to a co-worker who is mounting a 19" rainbow trout I caught last year. Even trade straight up. He is almost done with my fish so im pretty excited to give him my work and receive his.

[imghttp://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k386/lefty8917/dscn1530_zpsaecd4a55.jpg]http://[/img]

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2014, 11:59:10 pm »
That's a good looking bow right there.  Nice work.  Great job on the overlays.

Offline Lefty8917

« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2014, 06:40:01 pm »
Thanks matt. Now when I see a big buck I will be thinking, man look at all those tip overlays

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2014, 09:25:06 pm »
Looks like it turned out great.  Like the design you have on the rawhide.  Nice work.
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline campx

« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2014, 10:47:43 pm »
Beauty. 

Offline Badger

« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2014, 11:03:16 pm »
  Very nice job on the bow and nice save. For future reference I go along with ADB on this one, looks like you violated the back at the knots, next time follow the back right up the knot and leave it proud.

Offline 4dog

« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2014, 11:04:57 pm »
not too shabby there..nice rawhide design
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2014, 06:16:56 pm »
what mark said, the back was taken down too much,,,
looks like several rings got cut,, any way,,, that dont matter now,, just need to make it work,, soooo,,
I would wrap that area with sinew,,, and it will probably hold,, but if it was mine ,, I would back the whole thing with deer hide as well,,
or sinew back the bow,,,

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2014, 06:19:16 pm »
nice save ,, nice bow ,, congrats B