Author Topic: R/D Osage w/copperheads  (Read 19173 times)

Offline Dan K

• 58#@28"
Re: R/D Osage w/copperheads
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2014, 09:51:53 am »
Sweet bow Will. My BBI has the same profile and you're right very smooth shooter. Good luck with the kill.
Excellence is a state of mind.  Whether you think you can or can't...you're right!

Offline Will H

« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2014, 11:04:29 am »
Thanks guys :)

Dan, I've made a few bamboo backed bows with very similar profiles as well. That's why I started trying it on selfbows. I'd say the selfbows shoot almost as well as my last couple BBI/BBOs do. At least they draw and shot as well maybe not quite as fast though.
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

blackhawk

« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2014, 01:09:09 pm »
That's a killing machine right there...I don't need to see that in person to know that ;) ....and are you drawing 28" now? Did you fix that short drawitis crap? A man of your stature should be easily pulling 28" ;)

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2014, 01:57:24 pm »
Nice so very nice!!!

Offline Will H

« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2014, 05:15:47 pm »
Thanks hawk, I wouldn't say it's fixed but as Jimmy Blackmon put it, "I have much more control of the shot" I am coming to full draw more but it's hard to make myself hold even for a second. My true draw is 28" right now. At 6'6" if I wanted to go fully upright "target" form I would be more like 29 or 30 but that don't work for me.

Target panic sux but I'm gettin through it finally. I hope :)
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline Badger

« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2014, 05:24:47 pm »
  I know what you mean Will, I never did like holding self bows at full draw. I break all my bows in at about 28  and I only shoot them at 26 so I shouldn't be worried about holding them.

blackhawk

« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2014, 07:34:00 am »
Good to hear your taking ahold of the reins more will ;) I went thru that a couple years ago and said enoughs enough,n grabbed a gl@$$ bow and did the whole reset button thing....stood a yard in front of a target,closed my eyes and would repeteatdly draw and hold for near ten seconds to wire that into my brain...it worked and vastly improved my accuracy,and not to mention your imparting way more energy to the arrow with a longer draw...

A lot of folks just don't trust wood bows from fear of breaking,and dont want to pull to full draw or hold at anchor because they dont want there bow to take more set(ego getting in the way there too)and it messes with there brain..I say screw that..if it doesn't want to be shot like a bow should be then it don't want to be a bow,and we know that some will break and that's just life for us who shoot wood sticks ;)

Offline wapiti1997

• Joe Lacefield Wildlife and Nature Photography
« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2014, 10:28:04 am »
That is the most beautiful selfbow I've ever seen posted.  Boy, would I love to see that one in hand!  Well done!
The next bow I make for myself will have copperhead skins, to me osage and copperheads are the best combo.

Thanks for sharing and inspiring!  Good luck with it this fall!

Offline seminolewind

« Reply #53 on: March 06, 2014, 12:28:12 pm »
Dude this bow is downright incredible ! Such fine work you have done ! I have some mixed emotions going on right now, I am inspired very much, but mostly depressed and pissed I cant make one this good !

Thanks for sharing !
"Those that beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not." Thomas Jefferson

Elijah,
Tampa, FL.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2014, 09:21:23 pm »
A lot of folks just don't trust wood bows from fear of breaking,and dont want to pull to full draw or hold at anchor because they dont want there bow to take more set(ego getting in the way there too)and it messes with there brain..I say screw that..if it doesn't want to be shot like a bow should be then it don't want to be a bow,and we know that some will break and that's just life for us who shoot wood sticks ;)

I happily agree with you Chris..................
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 09:44:37 pm by Danzn Bar »
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #55 on: March 06, 2014, 09:22:47 pm »
Happily... ??? :-\
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #56 on: March 06, 2014, 09:26:57 pm »
SWEET Will! That is a beauty!! dpgratz
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #57 on: March 10, 2014, 12:02:26 pm »
That is gorgeous, love the skins

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #58 on: March 10, 2014, 03:21:09 pm »
I was looking at this bow again and comparing that braced shot to the full draw, shows the perfect R/D tiller in my mind.  Willful the skillful! ;D
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #59 on: March 10, 2014, 04:35:07 pm »
Not bad willie!! I like it! Good lines all around
Clatskanie, Oregon