Author Topic: bow poundage  (Read 5978 times)

Offline curiousiam

bow poundage
« on: March 03, 2014, 12:07:14 pm »
hi fellas, needless to say I'm new on the forum here. I have learned a great deal reading your posts and looking at build alongs. I've made some mistakes but hey its a learning thing(some not so easy on the human hide). Anyway to get to the point. I can't seem to locate or find a pull type scale that will read to 100 pounds or is their a way to calculate this .  It seems that my old self is partial to shooting a sixty to sixtyfive pounder. Anybody that can help, it would be appreciated.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: bow poundage
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 12:15:24 pm »
I have a digital scale from 3Rivers but I'm not sure if it goes to 100#. You can use a bathroom scale and tiller stick to check bow weight.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline k-hat

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 12:47:16 pm »
You can attach a 50# scale as a moveable pulley and just double whatever the scale says. A little time to set up but it'll work if you must go over 50.

Offline aaron

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 12:50:32 pm »
welcome to the forum.
..and now for some good natured hazing:
If you think you need a 100lb scale for a 65lb bow,you're not done reading about bowmaking.
Also, a 40 lb bow is possibly more enjoyable to shoot if you're getting back into archery after a while.
I use the bathroom scale method on all my bows.
good luck and we look forward to seeing your work!

« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 12:56:53 pm by aaron »
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 01:01:18 pm »
I have a digital scale from 3Rivers but I'm not sure if it goes to 100#. You can use a bathroom scale and tiller stick to check bow weight.

It goes to #150 I believe, Pat. Ive made at least 100 bows with mine, Saturday it scaled its last bow.....:(...my rope broke and the scale went flying across the shop and smashed into a million shards of plastic. Ill buy another just like it. I love that scale.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline 4giveme

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2014, 01:25:45 pm »
hi and welcome to PA,
hope this link helps its the scale i use for tillering.
tommy

« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 02:21:32 pm by Pat B »
God bless and thanks,
Tommy

"There are only two things we can't change, yesterday and tomorrow. So let's live in the moment and make the best choices we can right now."

Unknown author.

Offline kleinpm

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2014, 03:37:53 pm »

It goes to #150 I believe, Pat. Ive made at least 100 bows with mine, Saturday it scaled its last bow.....:(...my rope broke and the scale went flying across the shop and smashed into a million shards of plastic. Ill buy another just like it. I love that scale.

Pearl Drums,
The same thing just happened to me! I couldn't even find some of the parts. Mine was a cheap though, I just ordered another one off of Amazon for about 6 bucks.

Patrick

Offline adb

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2014, 07:31:30 pm »
Search for a 'hanging dial scale'. eBay has plenty. I got a really good one off amazon for around $50. Usually about a 6" face, and you can get them in many different weights. I have one that goes to 70# for most of my bow making, and a 200# scale for warbows.
It's nice and big, so you can see it from a few steps back while you're tillering. You need a scale. It's important to know where you are all the time with the draw weight.

Offline curiousiam

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2014, 10:00:22 am »
thanks for the info guys. ya'll are as helpful as always. i will look on e-bay. not sure why the comment was made about not reading enough. i've shot bows all my life but about six months ago i decided to make my own. its been very rewarding to find out that other people do the same and in turn help others. i searched the internet til i found this site and feel i made the right choice in staying put. the best thing i ever made a bow out of is osage. an old fence post on my uncles place, it was in the ground for twenty years. here lately i have replaced about ten posts, i love this wood. i am a little shy about showing my bows, i guess i have gotten used to people critisizing, but not constructively. i will try and get my antiquated computer to post a few pics.

mikekeswick

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2014, 10:11:00 am »
Fishing tackle shops usually sell scales in heavier weights or at least can get them if you ask.

Offline kleinpm

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2014, 10:55:43 am »
thanks for the info guys. ya'll are as helpful as always. i will look on e-bay. not sure why the comment was made about not reading enough. i've shot bows all my life but about six months ago i decided to make my own. its been very rewarding to find out that other people do the same and in turn help others. i searched the internet til i found this site and feel i made the right choice in staying put. the best thing i ever made a bow out of is osage. an old fence post on my uncles place, it was in the ground for twenty years. here lately i have replaced about ten posts, i love this wood. i am a little shy about showing my bows, i guess i have gotten used to people critisizing, but not constructively. i will try and get my antiquated computer to post a few pics.

Don't be shy about posting your bows. The vast majority of the members here will pick something nice about the bow and comment on that, maybe offer some constructive criticism. I wish I had pictures of my first few bows that I could post, for a good laugh if nothing else!

Patrick

Offline adb

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2014, 11:35:49 am »
I bought this scale off amazon for $40 shipped. Works great.

Offline brettd

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2014, 12:07:39 pm »
OK, so I don't know what I'm doing, I've made a staggering total of 4 whole bows now (not counting the two Of-Which-We-Shall-Never-Speak) and I've been doing the following admittedly lame thing:

1: my tiller is mounted on a vertical beam supporting my house
2: put bathroom scale near tiller at foot of vertical beam
3: stand on scale and notice how much I weigh*
4: stay on scale and pull string down to the 28" mark on my tiller
5: notice my weight now
6: poundage = (3 above) - (5 above).

Seems to sort of kind of work.  of course, if you weight less than 100 pounds you can't measure a 100 pound bow this way, I guess...  Any wisdom on this method from someone who acutually knows what they're doing?

The big advantage, of course, is that it only requires a bathroom scale (like the other method discussed previously). and you get to know your own weight at the same time.

* admittedly, tihs step causes substantial psychic and emotional pain...

Offline adb

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2014, 02:19:48 pm »
I use a 150# scale from amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/Weston-Pound-Spring-Hook-Scale/dp/B0027AL0MI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393954236&sr=8-1&keywords=150+pound+spring+scale
It works great!
My dream is to build a flat bow that will bottom it out!

A scale like that is hard to see while you're standing back exercising your bow on the tiller.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2014, 02:34:21 pm »
We all got on this road somewhere near where you did.  Some took off at a run while others just kind of took their time and enjoyed the scenery, but everyone of us has been where you are now.  My wife used to refer to each new bow I finished as my new "girlfriend" as I would carry it with me wherever we went.  I'm still guilty of that from time to time, as well I should be.  I'm proud of them, for all kinds of reasons.  Different reasons for different ones.  I suppose when I no longer feel that way anymore, I will move on to something different, but I love working on bows, for their own sake.  My tiller may not be as perfect as some of the fine craftsmen out there, nor are my finishes as silky smooth as others.  Heck, I still cant do that danged Strunk handle wrap that I like so much, but I made each one of them with my own two hands.  I cant say I'm anymore proud of my more polished bows made recently, than I was of that first one nearly 2 decades ago.  She's a beauty still.  Rough and heavy.  Over built.  Tips are 1 inch wide and the handle wrap has pretty near worn off.  First self bow I ever shot a deer with.  Made the shafts as well.  I, like most everyone else I recon, enjoy the feedback from all these great bowyers on PA.  It means a lot when your peers look upon your work with admiration, no doubt.  But take away the computers and the bow forums and the World Wide Web and I'm still making bows.  And still enjoying the process for it's own sake.  Post 'em and show 'em off on PA.  Trust me, it beats carrying them to dinner parties.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.