Author Topic: Red Osage  (Read 7503 times)

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
Re: Red Osage
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2014, 01:56:47 pm »
It may be more dense, my point is I cant see much if any difference in the final product.  Just my opinion for what it's worth.  The beauty is undeniable, but I would look at things other than color in selecting a "primo" stave.  I would have been on the other side of this argument just a few years ago, as the dark wood I had worked seemed more dense than the yellow stuff, but over the last few years I have seen some "electric yellow" wood that seemed every bit as dense if not more so, than the dark wood I was working, the bow before or just after.  The bow I am working on now is so dark it looks like old Osage, and the grain in it is remarkable.  It's hard as a rock as well.  Great piece of Osage, I just cant see much difference between it and some of the very yellow woods I've worked when it comes to judging the final product.   And that's all I gotta say about that! :)
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2014, 04:07:32 pm »
U could check the specific gravity of each wood
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline Roy

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2014, 05:15:39 pm »
Looks sweet. Question here, on Osage that is mostly yellow in color, what are the reddish streaks that sometimes are seen running down through it? Is there any problems using such a piece of Osage?

Offline IndianGuy

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2014, 05:19:30 pm »
I get an occasional stave like that and it usually has really tight growth rings, that stave just looks a little more seasoned and it will continue to get darker as time goes on, some oil will relaly help bring out the color in that stave it looks like it could use some.

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2014, 05:52:37 pm »
I believe the streaks are mineral lines. Other woods get them too. That just my thought
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2014, 08:12:02 pm »
I worked the profile today and here's a pic of the color...My camera isn't the best and it looks darker red in person.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2014, 08:54:22 pm »
I've got some red osage that I'm dying to tear into and see if it is more dense than normal osage.  When I started cutting it with the chainsaw it sounded like I was cutting a steel pipe.  I could tell something was different about the wood just from the sound.  My Dad was helping me and he noticed the difference in sound also.  Almost every stave split along a growth ring about halfway down the stave.  It didn't ruin any staves.  It actually helped.  I left the staves big and now I think I can get two bows out of each one.  It was second growth off of an old stump. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Will H

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2014, 10:07:48 pm »
Here's a pic of those billets I was referring to. They turned in to one of my best shooting bows.

Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2014, 10:13:23 pm »
Beautiful Will...Did you post that bow?  Here's a pic of the handle and you can see most of the top rings are red full length...
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 10:18:38 pm by burchett.donald »
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Will H

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2014, 09:11:29 am »
No I haven't posted it yet, I backed it with copperheads. I'll post it soon
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2014, 06:54:22 am »
Looks like a good stave to me,never had any problems with the streaks,couldn't see the rings but if they are of good ratio it should make a fine bow. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline half eye

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2014, 10:05:56 am »
Hey Don, I made a real nice Odawa from really dark red osage, no issues what so ever. Here's some pics. The wood is very dark red even if the flash makes it look lighter. Bow is 46" draws 48#@24" have had no problems with the wood at all.
rich

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2014, 03:44:33 am »
Rich,
       That is absolutely gorgeous...Scallops and art work, beautiful wood...
                                                                                                               Don

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2014, 04:36:09 am »
Looks very nice so far!
I like that dark fat stuff, I'm happy I to have some of those.
IMO the best for self bows
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2014, 10:18:11 am »
Looks like a great stave! I like those streaky staves. I think they are mineral lines too. Jawge
I've had some really nice bows from those darker staves too.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!