Author Topic: Don't know how they filmed this, any ideas JW?  (Read 2837 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

Don't know how they filmed this, any ideas JW?
« on: March 01, 2014, 05:33:45 pm »

Offline YosemiteBen

Re: Don't know how they filmed this, any ideas JW?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2014, 06:18:50 pm »
that was very cool!

Don Case

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2014, 06:19:57 pm »
I'm surprised that the hawk would destroy the nest. I would have thought out of sight, out of mind. As for filming I would say hours of footage and hours of editing. Great video!

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2014, 09:11:57 pm »
That is cool!
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline RyanR

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 09:06:41 am »
That was definitely worth watching. The whole time I was Cheering for the squirrel. Sorry J.W.

Offline silverfox

• Ohio Subscription #108669
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2014, 10:59:21 am »
I don't know how they did it, but what a cool video. Like Ryan I was rooting for the squirrel
New to all of this primitive stuff. Just taking it all in, and learning every time I come here.

Subscription # 108669

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2014, 02:01:13 pm »
Awesome Video Indeed...

I'm with you Fellers... Hours and Days of Carefully Planned Scouting, Shooting and Editing...

Or the Squirrel shot it in one Lucky Take...   ;D
Squirrels love to Brag and Talk Smack.

I was rooting for the Bird...
Hey, a Bird's gotta Eat...

:)

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2014, 02:53:39 pm »
I know how they filmed this! lol, it was definitely a captive red tail that has been trained to hunt squirrels.  It was likely working with the falconer.  the falconer jumping the squirrels into the open so the hawk could give chase.  Lots of big lenses and slo mo cameras shooting at least 120 FPS.  I think the most difficult part would be getting the shot of the squirrel jumping.  Unless it was a captive squirrel that use to stage the jump.  There were several squirrels used in making this video.  It's all staged but put together like this is a really cool representation of a squirrel chase by a red tail.  thanks for sharing.  I was definitely going for hawk.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline Peacebow_Coos

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2014, 03:00:31 pm »
That's an awesome vid great shots/camerawork...makes you wonder how they got that squirrel inside the leaf clump.

Don Case

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2014, 04:01:03 pm »
Poll time! Were the hunters among us rooting for the hawk and the target shooters rooting for the squirrel?

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2014, 04:14:53 pm »
That's an awesome vid great shots/camerawork...makes you wonder how they got that squirrel inside the leaf clump.
Lol, doubt that nest was in a tree.  I still think it was a captive squirrel for a lot of those hard to get shots.  Notices when the squirrel jumps that the hawk isn't even in the frame.  Probably a person in the tree poking the nest to make it jump... wildlife filming ethics? lol
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2014, 07:31:06 pm »
That's one hungry hawk. Never seen one do more than snatch a squirrel off the side of a tree. Cool vid! dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2014, 09:41:01 pm »
I'm with Tim, staged, good editing, cast and cameras. I've sat in tree stands and have seen Hawks come crashing down through tree limbs and a squirrel hit the ground, It's like Holey Crap! where did he come from. Grand daughter was rooting for the squirrel :).
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2014, 11:06:55 pm »
PrimTim got it right.  Lotsa camera set ups and lotsa time spent shooting and editing.

There are at least two redtail hawks used in this filming and I will guarantee at least one is a falconer's bird.  (Not revealing how I know this! hehe.)

The pile of leaves is technically called a "drey" or squirrel nest.  Redtails that have hunted squirrels more then once quickly learn that these balls of leaves in a tree need a "thunder punch" to stir things up!  The squirrel is definitely one of the more tricky prey items on a redtail's menu.  I have a friend that has flown the same redtail for 18 years down in Texas.  She is regularly flying her bird in the nut orchards down there on tree rats.  She shared a wonderful photo of her redtail hanging from the side of a pecan tree by one foot...the other foot crushing the head of the tree rat. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2014, 12:27:26 am »
I'm really jealous of that location.  No leaves on the trees and not very dense branches.  I been filming my friend's redtail hunt squirrels and it is not easy in the least bit!  Hours of footage for one minute of a video.  lol