Author Topic: CO Elk Osage Bow Build Along  (Read 30473 times)

blackhawk

Re: CO Elk Osage Bow Build Along
« Reply #75 on: March 09, 2014, 11:47:28 am »
Now were talking!!!!! Hell yeah....glad ya bent the statics in buddy...that stave def has it in it ;)

Offline hunterbob

« Reply #76 on: March 09, 2014, 12:08:35 pm »
Like the statics . That bow is looking sweet. I hope you get a great shooter out of it.
  I tried heating and bending the tip with hot air but ended up crushing the grain . I will steam next time. Plus I tried to bend on a small area of the tips . Live and learn.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #77 on: March 09, 2014, 01:00:22 pm »
Based on your last tiller pic and with the shortened length and recurves added, I would guess that it is going to be doing  alot of its bending mid-limb.  I have seen some osage that can handle that and a lot of it depends on your front profile.  Even if it takes some set mid-limb, you will still have a shooter.  Perosnally, I would be prepared to get the fades moving just a little more. ...or sinew those midlimbs for a rocket launcher.   >:D
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Badger

« Reply #78 on: March 09, 2014, 01:20:46 pm »
  Those curves should give it a kick in the pants.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #79 on: March 09, 2014, 01:40:32 pm »
I think your onto something there Rob, looking good with the statics. This one could end up putting alot of zip behind an arrow. Look forward to seeing more. :)
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline PAHunter

• "If your not having fun, what's the point?" - Khan
    • Victory Before Combat (My YouTube Page)
« Reply #80 on: March 10, 2014, 02:52:26 pm »
Thanks everyone, I'm really jazzed!  Hope she holds up...

I've been checking the weight at 20'' right after i string her up and then again after all the drawling/tiller checking.  I've registered a total of maybe 4# lost to set doing this so far.  Kinda makes you sad when the pounds/speed slip away from set.   :(

She is at 51# @ 23 and there is 4.5'' left until my target DLof 27.5.  The tiller is +.2 on the top limb at brace.  So now my goal is to get her to my full draw and maintain as much weight as possible without sending splinters flying across my workshop.   :o  With the short wroking limb I definitely am asking more of the wood than I typically do. 

Ok bowmasters, do you recommend taking off more wood before drawling more or working the draw back some more now?  The plan is approaching the landing strip, let's guide her in for a smooth landing!   ;) :P
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 02:57:06 pm by PAHunter »
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #81 on: March 10, 2014, 03:11:32 pm »
That is looking good to me.  At this stage, I finish tillering with the bow in hand and checking the tiller in a big mirror or having a bowyer friend watch.  Only remove wood if you see any stiff areas, or if you are at your target draw weight before your target draw length.   After marking apparent stiff spots with a pencil.  Unbrace it and check the unbraced profile through that area before removing wood.  This is where it is easy to get excited and hurry it up, but it is here you need to really slow down and dial it in.  Look out CO elk!  :)
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline PAHunter

« Reply #82 on: March 10, 2014, 05:33:42 pm »
@CMB: that sounds like great advice!  I'm guilty of speeding through the last several inches.  IN my defense I just love shooting!  ;) 

Here is a draw pic at maybe 24 or 25''.
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

Offline PAHunter

« Reply #83 on: March 10, 2014, 06:46:34 pm »
I slowly worked it out inch by inch with the following algorithm.
1) measure DW
2) bend bow 20+ times to new DL and check tiller -This is one heck of a workout on a 60#er!   :( ;)
3) take a pic / evaluate
4) pencil corrections onto bow
5) check brace height tiller gaps (ensure +.3 ish more on upper limb)
6) measure DW and see if much was lost
7) make corrections to bow causiously
8) repeat...

Result is 60# @ 27.5, 60'' tip to tip!!   :D :) :laugh: >:D :D :) :laugh: >:D :D :) :laugh: >:D :D :) :laugh: >:D :D :) :laugh: >:D   ;)

And I don't intend on drawing it past 27.5, that poor wood.  :)  In sanding and set I"m sure I'll loose a little of that but it should be close to 60.  I'll still be nervous until I get a lot more arrows through it.  I'll post some pics after it's all done.  Cross your fingers it holds up.  I think the poundage is fine, well maybe not for a 60 arrow shoot but for killing an elk, I think my form will hold true!

Thanks so much for all your help, this has been a great learning experience!!!!  It's given me 100 other ideas I'd like to try and try to improve on!!  This stuff is addicting!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 06:52:05 pm by PAHunter »
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #84 on: March 10, 2014, 08:20:28 pm »
That looks pretty sweet. Glad you made a shooter out of it. Be sure and post that elk! 
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Badger

« Reply #85 on: March 10, 2014, 11:35:31 pm »
  Great save!! The bow looks fantastic and you broke it in right.

blackhawk

« Reply #86 on: March 11, 2014, 09:20:30 am »
I love osage...n there's proof right there in that pudding ;)

Hey rob u should build the handle up with some cork and get the handle some more meat and rounded/bulboused more.....its quick n easy peasy to do...I have plenty if ya want some

Offline kleinpm

« Reply #87 on: March 11, 2014, 11:17:05 am »
That bow is looking sweet! Great job.

Patrick

Offline PAHunter

« Reply #88 on: March 11, 2014, 11:38:37 am »
@Slimbob: haha you know I will.  I know my odds are low given my 30 yard max 20 perfered range.  And I'm not trying to wound an animal.  I embrace the adventure and time in the woods more than anything.  Last time I spent 2 hours climing a mountain through thick cover, when I got to the top the trees cleared and I had a 30 mile view across mountain tops with the sun shining.  That may be my fondest memory of the last trip.  Getting that elk would be nice though!  ;)
@Steve: thanks man, and thanks again for the tips.  I took a lot away from this one.
@Chris: man I'm starting to love osage as well.  Don't think anything else can quite touch it.  I actually perfer a sleek handle.  I made them all sizes and though the big ones look cool, I like the feel of the little ones.  I'll pimp it out some with some color, you'll see.  ;)   8)
@Patrick: thanks bro, hopefully the final tiller looks even better.  I'll get it up soon.

pic is of me ontop a mountain in CO.  Ya, I stripped down and caught some rays.  What else are you supposed to to atop a mountin? ;D
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

Offline PAHunter

« Reply #89 on: March 12, 2014, 01:10:26 am »
Thanks again to everyone who came along on this great joureny!  It's been a blast!   I sincerely appreciate your attention and advice!  I'll still be adding several coats of tru-oil and an arrow plate but I wanted to get some pics up here.  The draw feels great and it feels like it's flinging arrows like a champ!  I can't wait to flight test and see where she comes in. 

This and my newly found sinew backed 61# bow look like excellent options for elk hunting this September in Colorado.  And I'm shooting them all better than ever!  Maybe I'll break her in soon chasing some gobblers!

On to the next adventure!

Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA