Author Topic: CO Elk Osage Bow Build Along  (Read 30480 times)

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
Re: CO Elk Osage Bow Build Along
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2014, 06:55:30 pm »
That looks pretty good, personally I would get the middle third working a bit more, but I don't think there's anything wrong with what you've got goin there.
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Offline HickoryBill

« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2014, 07:11:49 pm »
Wow I forgot about that stave..Maybe I'll get started back on it at the Classic this year....
"He who hesitates usually misses"
"All you really need to make a bow and arrow are some sticks and a deer carcass"
Bill Stockdill
Clarion County Pennsylvania

Offline Badger

« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2014, 09:36:07 pm »
  Rob, just so you don't come in light using the long string. The draw weight doesn't have much to do with how far you are bending the bow as much as it does the inches it shows you are drawing. If your sting is down around the 24" mark for example it would read not too much different if you braced the bow even though it would be bent a lot more.

Offline T Bone

« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2014, 12:37:51 am »
Rob, I'm watching closely as well, not because I have any input to give but rather to learn before I try one of those. also, I want to keep an eye on what my fellow keystone guys are cookin with! Looking good...

Offline PAHunter

• "If your not having fun, what's the point?" - Khan
    • Victory Before Combat (My YouTube Page)
« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2014, 12:43:59 am »
@KillerD: yep, I'm paying more attention to the middle to get the bend going there.  Hopefully it will round out nicely in the next few inches.  thanks!
@Steve: will do.  I've experienced that before where I go from long string to brace to be sprised how how the DW is.  I'm confident I have a good amount more to loose here though.  As the tiller progresses you'll have to let me know how I'm acheiving the eliptical tiller you speak of.  thanks man!

Below is a pic of the current tiller at 13 inches pull from resting.  It's 47# at the pull.  It lost no DW but did lose 1/16 on the reflex. 

Now rather than running through the rockies with a bright yellow glow stick I decided to back the bow with a cloth snakeskin pattern I recently bought.  Looks cool wet hopefully it looks as good dry.  I wet it first, ring it out, coat the bow with TB II and let it get tacky, then add a bunch of glue and put the cloth on, and clamp it down for good measure.  I'll rasp off the edges tomorrow.  And there you go, snakeskin looking back for abotu $2!
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

Offline PAHunter

« Reply #50 on: March 06, 2014, 12:48:49 am »
@TBone: Hey man, good to have a keystone brother watching.  Feel free to ask about anything I don't sufficiently explain.  or hell stop by Pittsburgh and we'll build some bows!  ;)
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

Offline T Bone

« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2014, 01:00:39 am »
I would love to someday! Does Soergel's still have the best ice cream in town?

Offline PAHunter

« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2014, 01:03:12 am »
I've been ther plenth but never tried the ice cream.  I'll have to give it a go with my little girl this week!   :laugh:
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

Offline T Bone

« Reply #53 on: March 06, 2014, 01:08:07 am »
I used to go there all the time as a child. I lived in Wexford for 5 years before moving to eastern PA and starting junior high. I prefer it out there honestly.

Offline PAHunter

« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2014, 02:35:32 pm »
The cloth is thin but looks good on the bow!  Little touches like that tend to give me motivation.  They make the bow more personal as they become part of my journey. 

When to draw the bow?
The bow is down below 600g and getting close to the finished weight.  The long string hangs to 12'' before pulling and pulls to 25'' currently at 49#.  So there are 13'' total I"m pulling the string.  The The bow is at a point I would typically brace it.  However I've read it can be bad to brace a bow before it's ready; it can take a lot of set.  I'm not noticing any loss of poundage pulling to this point but I did loose another 1/16 of reflex.  So my question is how do you know when to brace the bow?  Is it ok to do it now or shold I try to tiller it a few more inches first?  Of course any tiller advice is very welcome as well!  thanks!
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #55 on: March 06, 2014, 02:48:16 pm »
U should be good to brace. Start with low brace, couple inches. And get it bending more and then increase.
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline Badger

« Reply #56 on: March 06, 2014, 02:51:57 pm »
  If the string is hanging down 12" and the bow is pulling 49# it will still be about 49 or 50# if you brace it and pull it to 25". Has nothing to do with how far you are bending the bow, the string angle changes as you draw it and thats why the scale reads heavier. I would brace it now if you want 60# cause you are very close and might not make it.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #57 on: March 06, 2014, 04:48:12 pm »
Good job with the cloth snake skin.  That looks like the same stuff I used on my last bow build.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline PAHunter

« Reply #58 on: March 06, 2014, 04:58:39 pm »
Ok, let's string it up!   8)  My draw is almost 28'' and I know how much my bows usually bend, so I'm fairly confident I didn't miss the 60# mark but we'll see where we are at tomorrow once I brace her.  This approach is a little different in how I normally tiller.  It's almost as though you are trying to remove as much wood as possible without bending it much but ensuring you leave enough to work with and correct issues.  I guess bending the bow too hard too early greatly increases the risk of taking set and losing speed.  Makes sense to me.  Would you guys agree?

First I decided to saw off two pieces of antler to make some tip overlyas.  I like to put them in a vice and shape them with a rasp as much as possible prior to gluing them on the bow.  It's too easy to knick up the bow once on there.  I add liberal amounts of TB II and calmp em down overnight.  I never put them over material before but I don't see why it should affect it much and it should give a cleaner result.  I'll try and trust my glue. 

Tonight I have  a 3D shoot.  Let's see if I can creap closer to the fiberglass guys.  It's only a matter of time till I catch up!
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

Offline PAHunter

« Reply #59 on: March 06, 2014, 05:01:39 pm »
Good job with the cloth snake skin.  That looks like the same stuff I used on my last bow build.

Thanks!  You're bow gave me the idea.  I searched for the pattern online.  Can't beat the price!  Better than $30 per bow from 3 Rivers!  :o ;)
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA