Author Topic: Scoring Osage?  (Read 1962 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Scoring Osage?
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2014, 02:22:48 pm »
I cut my bow shape out with a band saw but only after splitting the stave out so I know where the grain runs.  To prevent tearouts I start my splits in the center of the stave and work out to each end.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2014, 02:24:01 pm »
I cant tell you how many straight barked osage staves I chased clean only to find wiggles and turns underneath. NEVER trust yellow wood bark, it'll lie to you more than Alex Rodriguez and Ryan Braun!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Dean Marlow

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2014, 03:40:41 pm »
Absolute no no to saw a Osage log. You can not tell how the grain runs by looking at the bark or how straight the log is.Get the ax and wedges out and start splitting.

Offline Poggins

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2014, 07:25:38 pm »
Let me rephrase this , I have several staves split down and belly splits taken off , I will remove the sapwood before I use the bandsaw ( the staves are about five inches wide or wider and just over two inches thick with the sapwood roved ) so I can see any changes in the way the grain runs .
And the ones I use the chainsaw on I'm fallowing the split and not getting ahead of it , just cutting the those stubborn spots that try to tare over or just hanging tight .

Offline WhitefeatherFout

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2014, 09:53:08 am »
Splitting is the way to go for sure.  The wood will let you know what it wants to be that way.   I'm with Pearl on not trusting the bark on Oaage.  Ive had what looked like perfectly straight logs, only to bust out staves fit to go on the front of a plane.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2014, 10:55:47 am »
I cut osage alone, sometimes I put large trees on the ground and have to haul the quarters a long way back to the truck. On large trees, out in the middle of nowhere, my first split is done with a chainsaw, it is wedges and a sledge after that initial cut. The first split is the toughest and I prefer to spend 5 minuets with my chainsaw instead of up to 45 minutes banging on wedges. I cut whenever I find osage and get permission to cut, this almost always ends up in 95 degree weather so the chainsaw split is a much better option.

I find I occasionally cut through  a snaky grain with my saw but width of my staves I can just about always compensate for the violation by moving the bow blank over a little on the stave.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2014, 01:22:59 pm »
Did it once and like others stated lost staves violating the grain. I hand split everything  :D
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956