Author Topic: Scoring Osage?  (Read 1961 times)

Offline FRITZ 86

Scoring Osage?
« on: February 27, 2014, 11:17:37 am »
I'm gonna try to cut and split some osage next month and was wondering if it is acceptable to snap a line and score the log with a saw to make my splits more uniform? I've never cut or split osage, but this is how I treat my hickory logs. Thanks for the help in advance.

Offline adb

Re: Scoring Osage?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 11:31:23 am »
I've never had the pleasure of splitting osage, but I don't think it's difficult judging by tales from others. Therefore, I don't think a kerf is necessary. A kerf can be cut carefully with a chainsaw or skill saw, and creates a weak spot for the split to follow. Elm (which I have split), on the other hand, can give it up a little easier by cutting a kerf. Just remember, if you cut a kerf, you will likely violate grain. Try it first without.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 11:31:48 am »
I never do. I split it all out the hard way. Its the only way to get the most from each log in my opinion.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline ohma2

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 11:36:32 am »
i totaly agree with pearl osage isnt that hard to split,a log will tell you alot of times by looking at what it has started to do on the ends where to start your splits.

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 11:38:56 am »
A maul and a couple wedges gets the job done nicely. U can't to follow the grain. By scoring it ur cutting into the grain pattern.
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline FRITZ 86

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 11:39:48 am »
So its not necessary to kerf it just check the ends to see which way it want to be split, right?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2014, 11:40:29 am »
Yup
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline FRITZ 86

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2014, 11:43:19 am »
Thanks for the help.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2014, 11:56:08 am »
Hand split all the way.  If you cut a kerf you will more than likely violate the grain and that is bad news.  Osage splits pretty easy unless its snakey or has a lot of other character.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Wiley

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2014, 12:02:11 pm »
Osage isn't the straightest growing of trees. Sawing will give you nice looking straight staves, but if the osage has twist you are going to violate grain. If you split it, the split will run with that twist, and it may take some correction later on but it will result in a higher quality stave.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2014, 01:23:01 pm »
Splitting the staves along the grain makes the strongest staves. Scoring and splitting straight is like using a board.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline TimBo

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2014, 01:57:17 pm »
I think elm is the best candidate for the kerf treatment since the grain is so snarly (and it tends to grow fairly straight).  I tried the kerf with black locust and osage the first time I split them, and although I did get usable staves, I would have gotten more with normal splitting.

Offline FRITZ 86

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2014, 01:57:37 pm »
That makes sense Pat. I guess it works well with my hickory because the grain usually runs pretty straight.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2014, 02:05:57 pm »
You have to examine the bark real well before cutting any bow wood. If the bark shows twists or swirls the wood under is doing the same thing. I think the only wood I would kerf(I never have kerfed bow wood) would be elm because the grain is so interlocked its difficult to split.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Poggins

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2014, 02:14:13 pm »
I split by hand , I do use the chainsaw to start stubborn logs.
When they split straight but have those stubborn fibers crisscrossing I use a saw for them to help along .
I do have some that I will use a bandsaw to split but the log split straight and I don't want a tearout to ruin one .