Author Topic: First Solo Bow Tiller Advice  (Read 3945 times)

Offline Clean_Missed

First Solo Bow Tiller Advice
« on: February 27, 2014, 10:40:42 am »
Hey Everyone,

Im working on tillering out my first bow on my own. I did one prior to this one in a course I did with PA member adb. Im shooting for about 35# at 28" out of a 66" nock to nock maple board. 1-9/16" at the fades, straight taper to 1/2" at the tips  Cherry tips and handle with mulberry trim on the handle. I have a few pictures to show where I am at right now with it. Its pulling 23.5" at 35# on the tillering tree picture. At full brace already of just shy of 7". It seems to be taking a bit more set than I would like (1-1/8" after unstringing) and I am fighting with some prop twist at both tips. Thinning the strong side of the limb does not appear to be helping and the twist is in opposite direction at each tip. Unstrung the twist is not apparent. Any words of wisdom. Don't sugar coat it. Tell me your honest opinions, I have tough skin. Thanks in advance for all your replies. I appreciate the guidance.

Sincerely,

Clean_Missed
Sincerely,

Clean_Missed

"As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it."

-ALBERT EINSTEIN

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: First Solo Bow Tiller Advice
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 10:44:08 am »
Your a tad stiff coming off the right side fade. Notice the extra bit of set in that limb unbraced?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Clean_Missed

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 10:48:53 am »
I see it now. Thanks for the input Pearl Drums.
Sincerely,

Clean_Missed

"As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it."

-ALBERT EINSTEIN

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 10:54:46 am »
That little bit of stiffness caused the center to work a fuzz harder and take an extra 1/2" set. Not a big deal now. But someday you will nitpick the heck out of your work!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline adb

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 10:55:34 am »
Hey, Brendon. Wow! I feel like a proud Papa. You got the disease really bad, I see! Nice work so far!

If you can, get rid of that big S hook you have on your tiller tree set up. It's not pulling your scale inline. If you can't find anything locally, I'll send you a small snap hook like I use on my set up. Just let me know.

As far as prop twist goes, sometimes it appears for no apparent reason, and seems impossible to eliminate. If it's not too bad, don't sweat it too much... it doesn't effect how the bow shoots from my experience.

Chris is right... get those fades moving early. R side needs work. Your left limb is awesome... nice bend.

Also, if you can find a good picture of a well tillered pyramid bow at full draw like you're making, print out a copy and pin it to the wall beside your tiller tree so you can constantly refer to it while working.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 11:02:03 am by adb »

Offline adb

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 10:58:28 am »
Also, a maple selfbow like that it going to take a bit more set than a laminate. If your bow comes out with 2" or less of set, you've done well. Very well. Don't get all hard on yourself about set this early in your bow making career. If your first efforts make successful bows your doing well.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 11:04:51 am by adb »

Offline Clean_Missed

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2014, 11:03:04 am »
Thanks guys,
I'll get to work on that right limb tonight and see if I can get it working a bit more. Ill post some more pics after that!

Sincerely,

Clean_Missed
Sincerely,

Clean_Missed

-ALBERT EINSTEIN

Offline adb

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2014, 11:07:17 am »
Remember it's a straight profile pyramid taper... try and make your tiller as round as possible for best results.

Offline Clean_Missed

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2014, 10:44:36 am »
Ok. Here is another picture of my progress/damage last tight. My eyes are going buggy looking at this thing trying to get it figured out. I think its worse that it was in the previous picture but I'm getting close to my desired draw weight now. To me, I've got a more rounded bend in the right limb. My proposed plan of action is to take some off the left limb from about a 1/3 out from the fades to get the midlimb and tip bending a bit more. Then go to even stock removal for the right limb to keep up with the added bend in the left limb. Am I on the right track? I am at 26.5" at 35# right now and I want to be at 35# @28" when done so I really don't want to screw it up too bad. For solo bow 1 I think I should just a bout be content with the bends the way they are but if I can get it a bit prettier that would be nice. As you told me Adam, "Perfect is the enemy of good." I hope it flings arrows when it done... ;)

I apologize for the quality of the picture; light bulb burn out in the garage.
Sincerely,

Clean_Missed

-ALBERT EINSTEIN

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2014, 04:32:49 pm »
Tiller looks good from here...If you want to stay at 35# you probably should run a few arrows through it before going any further...I say shoot in time and then weigh it...That left limb that's a tad stiff may work good for your bottom limb. JMHO ;) 
                                                         Don
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 04:35:57 pm by burchett.donald »
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Clean_Missed

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2014, 05:22:19 pm »
Thanks for the input Don.
I'll run a couple dozen arrow through it this weekend and see what the weight is after that. Wish me luck!
Sincerely,

Clean_Missed

-ALBERT EINSTEIN

Offline adb

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2014, 09:33:21 pm »
I think your fades are a bit stiff, especially the right side. 10 nice scrapes on the right fade and 5 on the left. Then have another look. All in all, VERY good for your first solo build. You haven't come in horribly under weight, or uneven.

Shoot it a bunch, too, before you pass judgement. The last deciding factor should be a full draw picture pulling it in the hand. I'm not happy until I see the tiller in the hand.

Offline Clean_Missed

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2014, 10:49:32 pm »
I'll work on the fades some more. I've got a little wiggle room yet. I'll post some more pics after I work the fades and shoot it in some.
Sincerely,

Clean_Missed

-ALBERT EINSTEIN

Offline adb

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2014, 11:26:50 pm »
How's the prop twist problem?

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2014, 06:24:24 am »
Wow! You're doing awesome for a first solo build.  My first few, I struggled with hinges and underweight bows and firewood!!  That still happens from time to time.  You are off to a good start.  Welcome to the addiction. :)
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN