Author Topic: homemade field points?  (Read 4441 times)

Offline Bearded Mountain Man

• Waxhaw Survival Ware
homemade field points?
« on: February 26, 2014, 10:05:14 pm »
I am curious in seeing some pictures of homemade field points. It seems like everyone makes bone, stone, and metal broadheads, but I hardly ever see flied points. I am curious if there is something I can make at home to shoot into my bag target.
    Thanks,
      ~Shane
"As if you could kill time without injuring eternity" -Henry David Thoreau

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
Re: homemade field points?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 10:19:22 pm »
The sticky above has some field point styles in it. A lot of us use duplex nails in cane and fewer in shoots, or duplex plus a .357 casing for a pointy blunt or just the casing as a blunt.  Those are some examples that have some weight, specially the duplex. One can buy at least two different sizes of dulpex nail. I like a blunt, but they tear up a target. duplex w/ the shaft sanded to a tapper and wrapped with sinew or thead and super glue works great and are inexpensive and tough as...well nails. Check the pick in the sticky. Have fun! dpgratz
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

• Waxhaw Survival Ware
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 10:33:16 pm »
Thanks. I didn't notice the sticky. I will check it out. I have seen the duplex nail in a cane shaft. Great idea!

Offline Buck67

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 10:25:21 am »
The Duplex nailhead in bamboo actually works better than a glue on shaft as far as pulling it back out of a target.  I don't wrap the bamboo behind the head with anything so that the shaft pulls out easily without snagging.  I glue the nail into place with Gorilla glue and have yet to have a nailhead field point pull out.  I use an 11/64" bit to drill out the cavity.  I tried heating the nail to red hot to burn it's way into the shaft, but I found that the glue didn't stick well to charred wood.

The other day I was practicing and missed my target and hit the 3/4" pine backboard.  The duplex head and bamboo went clean through the wood.  I was able to pull the arrow and found it had no ill effects and was able to reuse the arrow.

You may want to clip about a 1/2" from the end from a 16 Penny duplex nail so you can get the weight down to 125 gr.

• Waxhaw Survival Ware
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 04:05:01 pm »
I do have some bamboo lying around I have been wanting to turn into some arrows, but I am not very good at making them yet. I need to just get to it and get some practice in. I guess I will need to get my hands on some duplex nails. Thanks for the tip! (no pun intended...well maybe a little)  ;D

Offline Scottski

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 08:43:06 pm »
I have made 2 bone field points. They work pretty good in hay. Haven't shot them at anything else.
Did the Native Americans think about all this that much or just do it?

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 08:05:59 am »
I like the duplex nails with bamboo.  On one set I used JB weld to make a taper on the end of the nail.  It held up pretty good until I hit some rocks with it.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2014, 10:53:58 am »
yesterday i searched local store for duplex nail to no avail so today i tried to drill a small hole in a BL shaft than hammering a nail in it. (it's a nail even if it's twisted)
Just a small filing on the nail head and the result looks pretty solid.
The flat part should not avoid the arrow to pierce the target

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2014, 11:44:00 am »
GlisGlis, That looks pretty cool. I'd seal the end, maybe 1 cm up the shaft, w/ super glue to keep the wood fibers together if you hit something hard. Looks like it would make a good blunt for aerial targets or small game. dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2014, 02:35:04 pm »
I'd seal the end, maybe 1 cm up the shaft, w/ super glue to keep the wood fibers together if you hit something hard

good advise. will do it. ty