Author Topic: Deer killed by osage tree  (Read 3565 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Deer killed by osage tree
« on: February 24, 2014, 06:00:42 pm »
We found this gruesome site while looking for sheds.  A dead buck hung up in an old fallen osage tree.  It looks like it tried jumping over the tree and didn't make it.  It has already shed its antlers.  We had a lot of snow and ice up until this past week.  I'm guessing it happened when we still had the ice.  I'm thinking it broke its neck or hit its head when it fell.  I didn't see any scrape marks on the ground like you would expect to see if it was trying to free itself.  It was a pretty good sized deer.  The hooves and head looked fairly large but the antler bases were kind of small.  Maybe it was an old buck that was already weakened by the harsh winter we have had.  I tried checking the tooth wear but I couldn't see them good enough to tell. 

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Deer killed by osage tree
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 06:18:19 pm »
I have a theory now that Ive seen more pics. Id guess he didn't clear the log and when his body fell forward and his legs stayed straight up, his back broke. It either killed him on the spot, or he suffered...........too bad for that poor dude.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 07:33:44 pm »
that's a shame that the yotes didn't even get to eat him
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Mohawk13

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 07:55:55 pm »
One way or another, Osage would have gotten him...To bad it was not at the end of an arrow flung by an Osage bow....Sad to see that. Nature can be cruel..
He That Raises the sword against us, Shall be cleaved upon seven fold-Talmud.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 08:05:48 pm »
Looks like the buzzards are the only thing working on it.  The coyotes are all over the other side of our property.  I'm surprised they didn't find this easy meal.  We are going to try and salvage the skull.  My Dad has a nice rack on a skull cap that he wants to try to turn into a Euro mount.  He is going to go cut it off and bury it so the bugs and bacteria can finish cleaning it off. 

Offline TRACY

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 08:12:54 pm »
Didn't find a white flag nearby indicating surrender before you ambushed him with all those news bows did you? >:D that is an odd one though. I've found them hanging in fencing but not Osage .

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 08:53:18 pm »
That section where he is caught looks straight.  I wonder if it has any sound wood left inside.  It would be kind of cool to make a bow from wood that has already killed a deer.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2014, 09:07:28 pm »
That section where he is caught looks straight.  I wonder if it has any sound wood left inside.  It would be kind of cool to make a bow from wood that has already killed a deer.

Mucho mojo!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2014, 10:26:07 pm »

Could the tree have been covered in snow, and he got tangled, and not know what had him.  And wore himself out, and simply froze to death, or starved, succumbed to the elements?  Hate to see such things, but they happen.

Wayne

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2014, 06:46:49 am »
Cut that tree and bust out some staves dude!!  You have a knack for finding a story line behind Osage staves.  Way cool.
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

blackhawk

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2014, 09:19:14 am »
Such is life......crazy!!!

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2014, 09:47:18 am »
I would have never even found that, coyotes around here clean up in a night before anyone has a chance to see anything... probably should make me a a coy coat!
John, 40-65# @ 28" Central New York state. Never enough bows, never enough arrows!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2014, 09:47:32 am »
To bad but I suspect a lot more die in situations like that than we know. I think if I was a deer I would rather die tripping over Osage than hit by a car. ;) :) I would for sure check out the log and see if their was a bow in it,that would be to cool. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2014, 10:21:31 am »
I might carry the homelite down there today and see how solid the wood is. 

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2014, 10:24:14 am »
Save me one Clintster.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.