Author Topic: Seasoning osage question  (Read 2126 times)

Offline Aaron H

Seasoning osage question
« on: February 23, 2014, 09:05:04 pm »
So I bought a really nice straight piece of osage that was cut down and split 4 months ago, today I worked it down to one growth ring, and roughed out the shape to about an eighth of an inch of my desired end result.  I am getting really anxious to tiller this thing, and was wondering how long I should let it sit and finish drying before I can work on it again?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Seasoning osage question
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 09:35:32 pm »
Did you seal the back after you chased a ring? If not you had better do so or it will check. Osage doesn't dry as fast as whitewoods so it might be a few more months before it is ready.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 09:38:06 pm »
Seal the back and let it slow dry for (best guess) six months. I've heard one year for an average stave pretty consistently, so a roughed blank should be a little faster.
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline adb

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 11:08:42 pm »
Minimum of 1 year for me.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 09:59:39 am »
Yea, I did seal the back of it.  I was hoping you guys would say less time than that.  I was just wanting to know the general consensus, because the traditional bowyers bible volume 1 said that after you get your bow blank that it should only take another 2-4 weeks to finish drying.  I was also going to weigh it with my accurate scale to monitor the weight decrease.  once the weight stabilized for a week or so that I would be ready to go

Offline adb

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 10:13:16 am »
Patience is a virtue.

Offline kleinpm

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 10:20:11 am »
Yea, I did seal the back of it.  I was hoping you guys would say less time than that.  I was just wanting to know the general consensus, because the traditional bowyers bible volume 1 said that after you get your bow blank that it should only take another 2-4 weeks to finish drying.  I was also going to weigh it with my accurate scale to monitor the weight decrease.  once the weight stabilized for a week or so that I would be ready to go

I don't want to awaken the dry vs. seasoned debate but I think your plan of weighing it is a good one. I have had a near bow dimension osage stabilize after about a month sitting near the wood stove in the winter here in really dry Montana, and quite a bit longer when I lived in North Carolina.

Patrick

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2014, 10:27:02 am »
You could do a board bow in the meantime to scratch the tillering itch. :)

Offline IndianGuy

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2014, 10:29:20 am »
Well by sealing the back you are trapping more moisture in the wood and it will take longer, but sometimes this is necessary to stop it from checking, The 2-4 week scenario is depending on your climate and the time of year, if you keep the bow in the house where the temp is a constant in the winter it will dry faster than say in your garage, I have reduced green staves to 3/4 finished and in 4 weeks had a dry bow ready to finish and have done many without even sealing the back,but your taking your chance...one more thing to remember.... DRY WOOD DOES NOT EQUAL SEASONED WOOD!
good luck.
E

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2014, 10:50:44 am »
At least a year for me on Osage, I agree IndinaGuy,but here we go again,get out the popcorn. ;) ;D ;D ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2014, 11:01:02 am »
I'm one of those "crazy" ole timers that firmly believes there is a difference between dry and seasoned Osage, so the longer the better.  My book, it's very early to start on it, but, if you got the itch and it must be scratched, trace the outline of the back onto something and start working towards floor tiller.  If you see it taking any set, leave it for a month or so and then try it again and monitor any set.  If it takes set at that stage it's to wet.  If not, keep going till it does.  I think, as stated from the start that waiting is optimal, but the thinner you get it the quicker it will dry and maybe the quicker it will season as well.  As long as you see no set carry on.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline IndianGuy

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2014, 11:10:52 am »
Good Advice Slimbob...Pappy, Im not trying to start anything!  >:D Moo-ha ha ha

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2014, 11:29:12 am »
 ;) ;D ;D
Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2014, 11:30:21 am »
Patience is a virtue that I must work on.  I believe I will wait this one out and find another to work on. I think I will try to buy some from a friend that had had some sitting for 6 years. Thank you to all who responded

blackhawk

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2014, 11:37:08 am »
From my seat it looks like ya got to wait another 14 years and 8 months to me  8) ...seriously tho just get it reduced down to floor tiller and set her aside for now