Author Topic: Poplar Board Bow  (Read 4932 times)

Offline ajooter

Poplar Board Bow
« on: February 23, 2014, 04:48:07 pm »
This is the third bow ive made but the first over 50#.  This came in about 57# @ 28.  Its 2 3/8" wides at the fades tapering to 3/4# tips. It has one strip of fibatape on the back which will be painted over soon enough.  There was one spot where the grain swirled a little and I thought it wouldnt hurt.  Im going to narrow the tips down and maybe put a small overlay on the pin nocks.  Trying to finish rightaround 55#.  I heated about 3" of reflex into the bow before final tillering and it comes bacj to just about a straight bow after being unstrung.  I was thinking about doing one more lighter heat treatment just before finishing.  Any comments/thoughts are more then welcome.  Anyway....here's some pics.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Poplar Board Bow
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 05:16:20 pm »
Tiller is excellent.
Poplar is not the best choice but you did well.
What does the third photo from the bottom show with the nock like that?
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 05:18:31 pm »
Tiller looks good to me.  I have never tried one with poplar.  Nice job to get 57# out of it.
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline ajooter

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 05:20:13 pm »
I left the tips thick for now George.  Gonna narrow them down quite a bit and maybe even thin them down some.  I used poplar as a means to practice before getting into some better woods.  I have a maple board bow that is almost finished.  This will be the first bow that I will actual finish and try to make look presentable.

Offline ajooter

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 05:34:20 pm »
Thanks you btw :-)....I saw ryoons poplar bow and thought it would be an all right place to start.

Offline kleinpm

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 07:34:25 pm »
I like your reflex setup. It looks just like mine. There is not much you can't do with a vice and some weights, and clamps for prop twist.

Patrick

Offline ajooter

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 07:43:23 pm »

It was kind of an experiment.  I didnt have any water when I was heating the bow so I used the cup of black tea I had sitting there  :P.  I narrowed my tips down this afternoon as well.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 08:16:04 pm »
  I like that bend and the stiff outers...That's white wood for sure!
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2014, 09:51:50 pm »
Awesome bow now I really want to go cut a log of poplar or cottonwood haha
I like osage

Offline adb

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2014, 11:06:28 pm »
I would definitely reduce the thickness of your tips.

Offline ajooter

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2014, 11:46:22 pm »
I will do that adb...lotto meat there

Offline VicNova

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2014, 12:38:50 am »
Great bow! Just go's to show that you can make a serviceable bow out of anything if the design is right.
Ypsilanti,  Michigan

Offline adb

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2014, 10:23:42 am »
Great bow! Just go's to show that you can make a serviceable bow out of anything if the design is right.

I wouldn't quite go that far, but you've got the theory right. Design must match material.

blackhawk

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2014, 11:46:29 am »
Well that's always interesting and fun to see...don't see these everyday being posted....congrats on getting a shooter from it(for now)

Offline ajooter

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2014, 11:54:03 am »
Lol...thanks for the vote of confidence Blackhawk! :P. I googled poplar bows and there aren't many (at all!).  I know there's a reason for that but what the heck...I thought id give it a try.  Im still gonna finish it.  Give me a chance to practice that aspect of bow building.