Author Topic: Need some help on going about this birch sapling  (Read 8975 times)

Offline Bitterguy

Need some help on going about this birch sapling
« on: February 22, 2014, 02:04:57 pm »
So I'm trying to make by first non-board bow so I got my self two 7' tall saplings, one of birch(2" diameter), one of oak(4" diameter).
 I've got her debarked and sealed up on the ends.

There are some trouble areas where my beginner hands slipped with the knife a couple times and took out one or two chunks of wood, nothing to bad (I think).

There was also a crack that twisted up a bit but i don't think it is that deep and it is on the belly side.

There is also something going on with one of the edges but I don't think that it's real deep at all.

Will it still make a bow or should I just scrap (maybe use some of it for a riser/tips) it?
If it will make a bow would you guys recommend carving it or spitting it?

As always thanks in advance.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
If you're not getting better, you're getting worse.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Need some help on going about this birch sapling
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 02:09:38 pm »
That wood has been dead too long. You can see the rot set in. I would not waste my time with it!
 Cut live trees(saplings) to build bows. If it is already dead it is not bow worthy.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 02:10:29 pm »
Fire wood!
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Bitterguy

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 02:10:57 pm »
That wood has been dead too long. You can see the rot set in. I would not waste my time with it!
 Cut live trees(saplings) to build bows. If it is already dead it is not bow worthy.

I thought this was live HAH! I had to saw it down and everything!
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.

Offline Bitterguy

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2014, 02:13:17 pm »
Fire wood!

Onto the next one I hope. If I eventually cut down all the saplings one of them will have to be alive :P . Is there anyway to tell wether or not a standing tree is alive before you cut it?
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2014, 02:14:04 pm »
Scratch the bark on the next tree you want to cut. If it is alive it will be green under the bark. If it is brown leave it be.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Bitterguy

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2014, 02:16:03 pm »
Scratch the bark on the next tree you want to cut. If it is alive it will be green under the bark. If it is brown leave it be.

Does this apply to all trees or just green saplings. Because I'm not sure my oak is entirely green and its 4" thick at the bottom and winter so I dont know if that has any affect.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.

Offline Bitterguy

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2014, 02:26:20 pm »
If I'm understanding this correctly that means that this piece of oak is doa to?

Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.

Offline adb

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2014, 02:41:05 pm »
I tried making a bow outta dead standing ash once. Horrible failure. Don't waste your time. That's firewood.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2014, 02:47:11 pm »
 You'll have a better shot with your Oak...Is it wet where you sawed it off?
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2014, 02:47:37 pm »
Yep, DOA.
 The only living portion of all trees is the thin layer between the bark and the wood, the cambium(limb tip buds also) . In most cases the cambium will be green on a live tree and brown on a dead one. The bark and wood are not alive but the bark protects the cambium form the outside and the wood is the skeleton supporting the tree. Don't you remember this from basic science/biology class? I learned it about 55 years ago and still remember it.  ::)
 The crack in that one piece you have is a check(drying crack) which only happens in dead trees, not live ones.

Offline Bitterguy

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2014, 02:56:29 pm »
Yep, DOA.
 The only living portion of all trees is the thin layer between the bark and the wood, the cambium(limb tip buds also) . In most cases the cambium will be green on a live tree and brown on a dead one. The bark and wood are not alive but the bark protects the cambium form the outside and the wood is the skeleton supporting the tree. Don't you remember this from basic science/biology class? I learned it about 55 years ago and still remember it.  ::)
 The crack in that one piece you have is a check(drying crack) which only happens in dead trees, not live ones.

Nope my biology was all about cells and stuff I never use haha. I guess I'm of once it starts to get a bit darker after supper as to not arouse the suppision of a teenager wandering into the woods in the winter with a back pack and then waiting for a truck haha.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2014, 03:09:26 pm »
 Don't you dare steal wood young man! >:D
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Bitterguy

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2014, 03:12:37 pm »
Don't you dare steal wood young man! >:D

Its not stealing! It'll grow back, so its like I never took it. It's public woods. *more excuses*  >:D
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.

Offline DuBois

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2014, 03:24:37 pm »
Are you in the city or a ssmaller town?
I bet allong the road and highways there are plenty of saplings with in 20' of the road.
I got a book from the library about trees in my state and started learning the bark and leaves when I started this obsession.
Knowing the trees really can prevent a lot of wasted time and effort and get you a good bow sooner.
You can also look up your state wildlife agency or whatever and they may have trees listed as native and invasive. Some invasive species are unwanted and people are happy to let you get at them  ;)
Good luck with the wood BG,
Marco