Author Topic: hackberry????  (Read 1617 times)

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
hackberry????
« on: February 21, 2014, 11:54:31 am »
I have this stuff growing in my fence line and need to clear it for a privacy fence. If I'm correct it is hackberry?  If it is I
Want to save it for staves. And what sould I do about the bend...can it be straightned? It is 73" long 3" at the small end and 5" at the large end. The others ar larger and straighter than this one. Am I wasting my time with it?
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: hackberry????
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 12:22:26 pm »
That is hackberry Tim. That kink will be easily removed once you get to that point.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline sweeney3

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 02:57:43 pm »
Hackberry steam bends like Gumby.  You could tie it into a pretzel and straighten it back out if you wanted to.  Use it all.  Pretty good all purpose wood.  Works a lot like elm.  Maybe a little less stout in tension, say if you knick the back.  But overall, good stuff. 

blackhawk

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 03:00:14 pm »
Go long,wide,and temper temper temper

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 03:48:03 pm »
Great! Thanks I will have a lot of staves. I just cut this one down yesterday.   Do I need to go ahead and remove that bark or just seal the ends?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 04:05:17 pm »
Id split it in half and debark it if you can . Then seal the back and ends up good.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 04:20:25 pm »
Thanks. I'll split it and will post pics of the progress when its ready to be a bow.  Wish I could fast forward :) 
Not so sure about quick drying though.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 04:24:50 pm »
After you split. Follow the grain right down top dead center. Then measure 1 1/4" each way from that line and make a 2.5" wide, parallel stave. Sit it somewhere dry, under your bed is a good place. It wont take long to dry. Hackberry is light wood and dries fast. Give it 3-4 weeks and go for it!