Author Topic: Is it really worth it?  (Read 5517 times)

Offline Scallorn

Is it really worth it?
« on: February 20, 2014, 01:13:46 pm »
I live in a place where osage is very common. But, the majority of the hardwood trees that I have around here are Hickory. I build almost all of my bows out of hickory, they are very strong, lightweight, and powerful. I have never had one break. So, is Osage really that much better than hickory? It seems like it would be a lot harder to work with, and would take a lot more time. So, is it worth it to go through all the trouble for osage?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Is it really worth it?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 01:14:35 pm »
Yes
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 01:41:54 pm »
Osage doesn't sponge up humidity, and may take longer.

Osage is king in my book!
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline IndianGuy

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 01:46:20 pm »
It's like comparing vienna weenies to steak, the hickory being vienna weenies!  :laugh:

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 01:48:34 pm »
YES!
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 01:49:45 pm »
Is it really worth it to even fart around with all the frustration and heartbreak of making these dang things when you can go buy something?   :laugh:

I have found that osage actually works better under a sharp tool compared to hickory.  I think the hardness of the wood makes it part better when that razor sharp edge of the draw knife or spokeshave contacts.  And since I live in a very dry climate, neither one really has an advantage for cast (your mileage may vary).  And lastly, since I have neither growing here, I gotta import one or the other.  And I will always make room for another stave of either one every chance I get. 

I might give the advantage, slight though it may be, to osage.  But that only comes down to aesthetics.  You see, I absolutely love the color old osage takes on when it has been in the sun for a long time.  Mmmm, prettttyyyy!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 02:00:13 pm »
Are you kidding me ?? YES it's worth it !!
I like osage

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 02:29:57 pm »
I have access to countless hickory, hophornbeam, black locust, elm, etc.... but use osage 99% of the time. LOVE that yellar wood!!!
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2014, 02:42:40 pm »
Osage, black locust, and yew are my idea of the top three woods. I liked the two pieces of osage I almost ruined early on for the stability and consistent performance, I like locust for it's daredevil speed (and it's available around here ::) ), and yew makes a gorgeous longbow but I don't have the experience to back that up, just everybody's bows I see.

Hickory is indestructible, but the only barely less indestructible, more moisture resistant, better performing, and far more set resistant osage orange is worth the work.
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline rps3

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2014, 02:47:49 pm »
I like my hickory, and wondered the same thing you ask while building my first few osage bows for the same reasons you mentioned. After quite a few osage I have come to realize why they call it the king. Definetly worth the extra effort...I still like my hickory too though.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2014, 02:53:17 pm »
Yes, and I like hickory. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Sasquatch

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2014, 02:55:20 pm »
Build a bow from it and you will see ;)

Offline adb

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2014, 02:56:37 pm »
Nah... keep making those nice bows outta hickory. Cut that junkie crap osage, and send it to me, so I can dispose of it.

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2014, 03:03:52 pm »
Performance is in the hands of the bowyer... But i think osage likes to be worked with hand tools better than most woods ive tried. JMO.... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline bubby

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2014, 03:10:30 pm »
even with the little I've used, and the fact that I hate chasing rings, yeah it's worth it
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹